Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Keyboard Help — Parallax Forums

Keyboard Help

Ryan_DowtyRyan_Dowty Posts: 5
edited 2008-12-01 16:58 in BASIC Stamp
I have been trying to hook up my basic stamp to a PS/2 keyboard, and I've had no luck. I didn't figure it would be too complicated, but apparently it is. If someone could tell me how it would be amazing!

thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-14 19:14
    You can't do it without quite a bit of external hardware because the keyboard has to supply the clock for the data and the Stamp is not fast enough to handle the clock programmatically and there are no built-in statements to do it for you. There are some inexpensive PS/2 keyboard interfaces that take care of the details for you and look like a standard asynchronous serial port to the Stamp which can be handled with the SERIN statement.

Multilabs has a PS/2 keyboard interface (www.multilabs.net/ezKEY.html) and another one for a mouse as well.
  • Ryan_DowtyRyan_Dowty Posts: 5
    edited 2008-11-14 19:16
    well, thanks anyways. I guess I'll have to find something else to make then.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-11-17 00:30
    Ryan_Dowty

If Your lookin for an easy way to hookup a PC/AT keyboard to a $STAMP w/ lil. programing and lil. Agravtion, Then Please Close this Thread and forget You ever saw it.

However,If Your up for a Challenge, The " MEMKey " is for You...In FACT the MEMKey is the easiest part of the PC/AT keyboard setup...It makes the hardware A snap!!!...It's useing the input from the MEMKey/PC/AT keyboard that will be the Challenge

_____________________$WMc%_____________
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-17 00:55
    The MEMKey will not allow you to attach a PS/2 keyboard to a Stamp. It will only handle a standalone 4 x 5 keypad (switch closures). It does have an option to behave like a PS/2 keyboard so you can attach a keypad to your PC. Read the user's manual / datasheet for the MEMKey.
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2008-11-17 01:48
    Mike Green

Thank You for the info about this

You can't do it without quite a bit of external hardware because the keyboard has to supply the clock for the data and the Stamp is not fast enough to handle the clock programmatically and there are no built-in statements to do it for you. There are some inexpensive PS/2 keyboard interfaces that take care of the details for you and look like a standard asynchronous serial port to the Stamp which can be handled with the SERIN statement.

Multilabs has a PS/2 keyboard interface (
    www.multilabs.net/ezKEY.html) and another one for a mouse as well.

This will help alot

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-11-18 01:13
    Mr.Green and Sam

·Your both right on this..I did some EXP. w/ the MEMKey ,A·BS2p40 and·What I remembered·as A PC/AT keyboard. A few years ago.I think back now and realized I used the keyboard from·My HYDRA and not A·Reg. PC/AT keyboard. I also used a Mod.Drop for the clock this is more hardware and Progra...Adding to the·Complexity...Useing something Diff. would better.........

___Thanks for catchin My bad Idea___________________$WMc%____________
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2008-11-18 06:11
    A simple way to do this, with one chip and a
    resonator, is to use a PAK-VI coprocessor from
    AWC. I got mine from Parallax but AWC is the
    only active source that I know about.
    PAK VI KEYBOARD COPROCESSOR - 27972

The AWC link.
    www.awce.com/pak6.htm

"With the new PAK-VIa Keyboard Coprocessor,
    you can connect a standard PS/2 keyboard (or
    other PS/2 device) to practically any microcontroller."

Description in a book.
    books.google.com/books?id=E0_07GfXo2wC&pg=PA377&lpg=PA377&dq=basic+stamp+pak+keyboard&source=web&ots=pPPDHQCYcf&sig=ZJcGCdTqhO5unRE8flGzpjOw9NE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result

Here's the data sheet.
    www.awce.com/pak6a.pdf

Post Edited (humanoido) : 11/18/2008 6:20:21 AM GMT
    edited 2008-11-18 23:19
    I found an inferred keyboard! I'll have to decode it a little bit, but it puts out ASCII and doesn't have a clock pulse either! Thanks for the info, but I guess I don't need it anymore!

thanks for the help though
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2008-11-18 23:47
    Ryan -

Care to share the secret? A link would be fine.

Thanks!

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When all else fails, try inserting a new battery.
    edited 2008-12-01 16:58
    I'm having ALOT of problems decoding this IR keyboard... I don't think it's ASCII after all, and it's really odd. I am trying to use a Webtv keyboard. If anyone gets it to work before me, could ya post it?! haha, I'm rather new to using the stamp, so I'm not the greatest.