Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help — Parallax Forums

Help

edited 2008-11-14 18:42 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everyone,

i'm currently taking an electronics course at a tech school.· I was asked today to think of a project i could have done by christmas break and i am clueless!· It has to use the Basic Stamp II, and we have to write our own code.· Any Ideas??

Comments

• JomsJoms Posts: 279
    edited 2008-11-14 17:41
    Look through the Nuts and Volts area or better yet try looking though the "Customer Applications' part of the site. You probably would not want to copy a project but look though them to give you ideas of different things you can do. I like it because it shows pictures so you will be able to get ideas of different ways of mounting, etc. Here is the link... http://www.parallax.com/tabid/271/Default.aspx
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-11-14 17:47
    That basically gives you 4 weeks. 4 weeks is not a long time. You could do a "blinking LED" in a day. If you had the hardware on-hand already, you could probably use a "Ping" with servo to roam around your kitchen floor -- but not if you had to wait two weeks for the hardware to arrive.

One of my personal favorites is interfacing with a hand-held TV-remote, set to the Sony or Phillips protocols. This is nice, because once you have that, you can "drive" the BOE-Bot around with the remote in your hand. But 4 weeks of school-nights is not realistic for that.

What is your BS2 sitting on? Is the Homework Board? Is it the Board-Of-Education (BOE)? Is it a home-made board? What additional parts do you have on hand? A CdS cell based sun-tracker or sun-monitor can be a nice project.
  • RoboticsProfessorRoboticsProfessor Posts: 54
    edited 2008-11-14 17:58
    Mostly, a project that interest you and seems fun will work the best because you will be more motivated, but here are some ideas. Although I put building a complete robot in the "Hard" category, these are not really "hard", you just will need to have the money to purchase the materials and the time to assemble and lear=n the basics.

Simple:

Sense switch touches and display a separate LED for each switch.

Make some LEDs flash in a pattern.

Set up three or more switches. Each one pressed makes a different sound. Play simple music.

Play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" or other simple song on the speaker

Make a 3-person "game buzzer" where only the first one to push their button has a light go on, and the others are blocked out.

Medium:

Set up IR sensors to detect obstacles. (Then have IR report the distance to the obstacle.)

Install two servos on a base and have the robot move around.

Hard:

Buy the BOE-Bot and follow the examples in the robot book. (Not really hard, but you need to spend some $$$ and take some more time.)

Line-following robot (Do a search on YouTube to see many examples)

Maze-solving robot, like:My Line Maze Robot
    http://picrobots.com/my-line-maze.php

Line Maze, First Run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raEQlDq_EwI

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Richard Vannoy

Programming and Electronics Instructor
    www.PICRobots.com
    www.SailingStrategy.info
    www.TeachingTechnicalTraders.com
    ·
  • edited 2008-11-14 18:42
    i have all sorts of fm transmitters and recievers and stuff, and i can do stuff with IR pretty easy. the only problem is that we only have 4 weeks. thanks for the couple of ideas you have given me so far. if you think of more just let me know!
    Also, the board i am dealing with is the homework board.