Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
sound / SFX / SYNTHESIS? can the bs2 do this? — Parallax Forums

sound / SFX / SYNTHESIS? can the bs2 do this?

MubotMubot Posts: 13
edited 2008-11-14 18:10 in BASIC Stamp
is the bs2 capable of any type of sound effects or synthesis other than the dial tones or the standard freqout beeps???

i love my bs2 and use it for mostly robot stuff, but i also would like to do DIY synth stuff and im having a hard time getting started!

i can find a TON of stuff on how to do it using the ARDUINO (ack!) ... so im looking to the forum as a last ditch effort b4 i cave to the thought of using the arduino

thanks guys

=Mubot

Comments

• Don MooreDon Moore Posts: 4
    edited 2008-11-14 00:21
    Is this what you're looking for?

SoundPAL
    SoundPAL Documentation (.pdf)
  • MubotMubot Posts: 13
    edited 2008-11-14 16:15
    no, but thanks for the reply.

im looking to do actual sound effects or sound synthesizing....

i guess i could use my speakjet in conjunction with the bs2 ..but i was hoping for an all in 1 solution....
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-14 17:34
    The Stamp is not really capable of doing any sound synthesis or sound effects other than the FREQOUT or dial tones. It's just too slow in PBasic.

The Propeller is capable of doing very sophisticated sound / voice synthesis and can play WAV files. There are some examples of multi-part singing synthesized in stereo
  • Fe2o3FishFe2o3Fish Posts: 170
    edited 2008-11-14 18:10
    Actually, for sound effects, unless the SpeakJet does what you want, there is the SoundGin that's
    a bit more flexible for that purpose. The SoundGin also comes with some 'canned' effects/sounds
    in the PC software that comes with it.

On the other hand, the SoundGin is not a standalone chip -- it needs some type of controller (BS-whatever,
    Arduino, etc) to cause it to make sounds. The SpeakJet can operate in standalone mode. Something
    you might want to check out!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rusty-
    --
    Rusty Haddock <=> AE5AE
    **Out yonder in the Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area**
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking