Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How many UARTs ?? — Parallax Forums

How many UARTs ??

SolowSolow Posts: 2
edited 2008-11-20 14:50 in Propeller 1
This is probably one of those questions where you think... silly newbie, and you are absolutely right wink.gif

Im upgrading from Arduino/sanguino Amtel board, and need several seriel ports.. found some post about it, but cant find anything about how many serielports you can have on this chip ??

Once again, sorry for my lack of knowhow, but im all new in this shocked.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-12 22:23
    You can have as many serial ports as there are available I/O pins. There's an object in the Propeller Object Exchange that lets you create up to 4 serial ports using one cog (processor) of the 8 available in the Propeller. You can have multiple copies of the same code running in different cogs, so you could realistically have 14 serial ports (28 I/O pins plus 2 for the EEPROM plus 2 for the program download / debug link) using 4 copies of the 4 port serial driver, each in a cog. You could even have a 15th port using the 2 I/O pins used for the download link.

If you need handshake lines, they would use some of the I/O pins thus limiting the number of serial ports.· The 4 port serial driver does optionally support handshake lines.
    ·
  • SolowSolow Posts: 2
    edited 2008-11-13 09:54
    Wow... thanks i was hoping for 4 ports so this is fantastic !!

No wonder you all praise this prop so much..

Thanks
  • NiallNiall Posts: 7
    edited 2008-11-20 14:27
    where did you find a post on how to use more than 1 serial port, because i am trying to use 2 serial ports but cant find any help as of yet. I am using the stamp basic II
    Cheers
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-20 14:39
    Look at the "Multiple Serial Port Driver" in the Parallax Object Exchange (obex.parallax.com/objects/category/5/?page=3).

Note that the Propeller (like all microcontrollers) has logic level serial ports. That means that you will need a voltage level converter to interface to a standard RS232 serial port. A MAX3232 (www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1068) will do this for you very nicely.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-11-20 14:50
    Niall said...
    where did you find a post on how to use more than 1 serial port, because i am trying to use 2 serial ports but cant find any help as of yet. I am using the stamp basic II

If you are using the Basic Stamp II then I'm afraid you are rather in the wrong place. This forum is for the Propeller Chip which is a completely different beast.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!