Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I need to turn on and off a light. But there is electronic noise. — Parallax Forums

I need to turn on and off a light. But there is electronic noise.

JoeJoe Posts: 184
edited 2008-11-14 03:17 in BASIC Stamp
Hi.

I need to turn on and off a 110 volts light every 25.5 seconds.
It is very easy.

I need to use only one pin of a Basic Stamp 2 ( BS2-IC)
and of course I will add a solid state relay.

But there is a lot of electronic noise, because there are refrigerators,
TV sets, bar code machines, motors, etc.

My questions are :

1-- Is the Basic Stamps are enough for
this kind of industrial application.

2--- In other words. Do you know if a PLC is a better
choice when there is a lot of electronic noise?

Please, do you have some documents about this kind of problems?

Thanks, Joe

Comments

• GICU812GICU812 Posts: 289
    edited 2008-11-12 22:03
    I dont see where any of those would cause a problem as long as you have a filtered power supply for the stamp. The SSR isolates the stamp pin from everything else, so the 120vac line noise wont be a factor from that end.
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2008-11-12 22:16
    just use an old computer power supply that is what i did for my stamp
    plcs are specificaly designed with industry in mind they are in plenty cases even waterproof (but that cost extra)
    they will take the noise no problem

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax posesses power beyond belief.

Believe in it.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 184
    edited 2008-11-12 22:43
    Hi ,

So, Basic Stamps are not for industrial purpose?

Are Parallax Basic Stamps for hobby more than industry purpose ?

Please, let me now because it is important to understand.

Thanks again, Joe
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2008-11-12 23:29
    Joe,
    ·
    The Basic Stamps can be used in industrial applications; it is industrial rated for that reason. However if you do not have something to protect against EMI then you will inherently have issues with any circuitry. Something to look at would be to see what other circuits are in the area; even though there might be EMI it is possible there isn't enough to create an issue with the Basic Stamp. Also are you going to have wires extending through the EMI? How much EMI is in the area that you wanted to use the Basic Stamp?
    ·
    We use the Basic Stamp in educational and hobbyist because it is so easy to use, and rather than using a low level language for projects we offer a high level operation with the Basic Stamp.
    ·
    So in short, the BS2 could be used in an industrial, hobby, education, or anyone who wants an easy to use microcontroller that is robust.
    ·
    I hope this clarifies some for you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Joshua Donelson

www.parallax.com
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-11-12 23:53
    That's the manufacturer's view. Here is an engineer's view.

The Basic Stamp is basically an industrial-grade microcomputer with some added microcode (the interpreter) that makes it easy to use. Being easy to use is wonderful, not only for the hobbyist but also for the experienced engineer working on professional assignments.

As a pro, I would not hesitate to use a Basic Stamp in any industrial or non-industrial environment. If you're going to build a million of something, you would not use a Basic Stamp, because it is more expensive, and it would be worth the added development cost to use a harder-to-use but cheaper microprocessor. But if you're only building one or two, it is easy to justify the higher unit cost of the Basic Stamp when it's going to save you hundreds of dollars, perhaps thousands of dollars, maybe even hundreds of thousands, in the development stage. Personnel costs for engineering are very high.

I think the Basic Stamp is just right for you. Get a Prop-2 controller from Parallax EFX. It has a BS2 built in, and also has relay drivers that can control as many as 16 inexpensive relays such as Mouser's part number 893-852W1AFC112VDC, which has a 12-volt coil and can switch up to 25 amperes of AC. The relay costs $3.16. One Prop-2, and one relay per lamp, and a 12v power supply of some kind, and you're in business.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2008-11-12 23:57
    Thank you Carl, it's good to get more than just the manufacturer's perspective.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Joshua Donelson

www.parallax.com
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-11-13 00:56
    Joe

Back in the day some dudes that worked for the phone Co. invented the Transistor.Do You feel the only App. for the transistor is in A Telephone????

I don't consider TV-sets,Refg. and the lil. Elc. motors they use to be Industrial, More like Residental / lite Commercial....1200Hp Elc.Boiler Feed Water Pumps, 40kv Elctrostatic Perciep.,A few 500Hp Var.Freq.Drives w/ Regenarators,,,Now where making some "Elc." Racket...

The $stamp would be the CPU or MPU for A PLC that You would Engineer...Since You stated You only needed 1 I/O pin,,This is a pretty simple PLC...I could Engineer and industry Aproved PLC in less time then it took Me to answer this Thread w/ the BS2$ and 1 I/O,,And I'm Talking ASTM/ASM w/ a NEMA 1 rated Encloser,,$500 @ the most/Plus INSTALL......

It's Your Engineering Ability THAT determines It's Appl.

__________________________________________________$WMc%_____________
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2008-11-13 02:23
    here you go i got a schematic

i am not sure of the part numbers for thetransistor and the diode they all seem the same to me until i look at a data sheet

but any how the schematic is correct and the diode must be oriented the way it is to save your stamp

without the diode a kickback from the electromagnetic field collapsing with make your stamp act funny and require you to reset it

the resitor coming off the base of the diode is an extra safety feature that fixed the bugs when i tried it the pin from the stamp connwcts to this resistor i forget whether it is supposed to be set high or low one works the other does nothing

this schematic does not work on the usb stamp

the one that hangs from the usb port and is power via the serial bus

i dont know why but it just doesnt

i have tried and tested this schematic with my BOE

have fun

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax posesses power beyond belief.

Believe in it.

Post Edited (Lab Rat) : 11/13/2008 2:36:13 AM GMT
  • JoeJoe Posts: 184
    edited 2008-11-13 14:01
    Hi,

Thanks , the replays are usefull.

But , then, if add a good enclosure and a good power
    supply I will have a robust device like a PLC ?

Please, help.

Thanks, Joe
  • GICU812GICU812 Posts: 289
    edited 2008-11-13 19:21
    Does it matter what you call it? The BS is technically a Programmable Logic Controller out of the box. So is a transistor with a switch, is programmable for on or off, and it controls a logic level signal. What does it matter. Putting the BS into a box and feeding it clean power doesnt change anything about how it works.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-11-14 03:17
    Joe

I asume Your ref. to a PLC is w/ "Process"???,,,Like An A/B Slic 5 or 500 etc...If this is the rite Thinking "Process",Then the "Robust" will again be Your Abililty to interface the $Stamp w/ it's outside enviroment.

In Your first post thread You spoke of "OPTO-ISO",This and some added "Idiot" proofing "will make the "Robust" part happen,,This is all in the hardware "like an OPTO22 or a relay" ,etc.

In Process controller's ,most of the "Field control loops" are 120Vac,,And are simply ON/OFF. From thier is "Analog and Digi.",It is'nt real hard to make a I/O card for the $Stamp to control

_____Yes,__And thats My final answer____________________________________$WMc%________________