Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I2C Woes — Parallax Forums

I2C Woes

AleksAleks Posts: 52
edited 2008-11-18 18:45 in Propeller 1
I have been working on a particular project for the past several weeks that involves the implementation of a digitally controlled unit, via the Spin Stamp, with an I2C interface controller board. My issue is the digitally controlled unit [noparse][[/noparse]DCU] that I have been using prior to this project has always been using either RS232 or GPIB serial communication as the interface to the master units. I initially attempted to emulate an I2C slave device, but was not satisfied with the results (speed) so I took the liberty of obtaining the SC16IS740 IC from NXP. Now the problem I am facing is implementing the IC into my DCU. Can anyone offer any ideas or drivers for this IC?

**note --> | controlled unit <-- Controller [noparse][[/noparse]Spin Stamp] <--> RS232 interface [noparse][[/noparse]SC16IS740] <--> I2C interface [noparse][[/noparse]SC16IS740] <--> I2C controller board

attached is the pdf for the ic

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
~Some men see things as they are and ask "why?"
I dream of things that never were and ask "why not?"~

~Our work is never over..... ~ *Daft Punk

Comments

• DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-11-13 12:20
    Why can't you use the fullduplexserial object to drive the RS-232/I2C device? For that matter, why not use one of the I2C objects directly on the propeller and dump the SC16IS740. Forum member Hippy has working I2C master and slave objects. Send him a personal message for more information.

Good Luck, David
  • AleksAleks Posts: 52
    edited 2008-11-13 18:29
    That is exactly what we are going to do. The trick is we need to adjust certain registers on the IC to set the values for transmission. We can't seem to find the information we need to adjust these registers. We were hoping a few more heads peeking at our documentation might be able to make heads or tails of it

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• AleksAleks Posts: 52
    edited 2008-11-18 18:45
    I apologize for the hasty reply. I have realized now what you were implying with your second remark. Originally in our project we were using the spin as the slave device on the I2C bus. We made a lot of success, until it came to speed issues. To hit the speed we need, we have to move to another method. In this case, our IC. We need help programming the register values to coincide with a 9600 or 2400 baud, 1 stop bit, no parity RS232 bus via the fullduplexserial.spin object. If anyone has any ideas of how to change the values on the IC it would be greatly appreciated.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔