Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller System Clock — Parallax Forums

Propeller System Clock

ImmNekImmNek Posts: 29
edited 2008-11-16 13:04 in Propeller 1
Hi guys,

You guess right, I have a question related to the system clock of the propeller chip.

I read in the manual, that the internal PLL frequency is generated by 16 times the crystal frequency. And I read too, that the PLL frequency must be from 64MHz to 128MHz. So I connected a 8MHz crystal to my chip and set the clockmode to xtal1 and pll16x. Then I tested the chip loading it with some ASM-code and it works. But when I tried to run some SPIN-code, strange things happened on my chip. Can somebody explane me this effect, please?

Thanks a lot
Immanuel

Comments

• BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-11-12 10:05
    ImmNek said...
    Hi guys,

You guess right, I have a question related to the system clock of the propeller chip.

I read in the manual, that the internal PLL frequency is generated by 16 times the crystal frequency. And I read too, that the PLL frequency must be from 64MHz to 128MHz. So I connected a 8MHz crystal to my chip and set the clockmode to xtal1 and pll16x. Then I tested the chip loading it with some ASM-code and it works. But when I tried to run some SPIN-code, strange things happened on my chip. Can somebody explane me this effect, please?

Thanks a lot
    Immanuel

You are running the processor at 128 MHZ. This is well over the rated operating speed of 80MHZ, so I'd suspect the chip is doing unpredictable things.
    Try it at 8 * PLLX8 and see if it stable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2008-11-12 13:57
    I have a Prop with a 10MHz XTAL and use PLLX8, runs just fine.

Strangely I tried a bunch of slower crystals down to 5MHz and none of them worked. Could be my wonky home made demo board construction though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
  • ImmNekImmNek Posts: 29
    edited 2008-11-12 15:50
    I tried it with pll8x and it works. But why ASM-code works on 128MHz?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-12 15:57
    At higher clock speeds, certain parts of the chip fail before others. The Spin interpreter, because it's written very tightly, tends to use as much of the capability of the chip as possible while your assembly routine may not use some instructions that are affected early by the over-clocking.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,364
    edited 2008-11-12 17:08
    The original PropOled96 has a 8MHz crystal and ran SPIN code in one cog fine at PLL16x.· But, as soon as you try using multiple cogs, it fails...
    edited 2008-11-14 02:09
    Thanks a lot, your answer make sens to me.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-11-15 15:07
    @ ImmNek : You may also find this information on the Propeller Wiki useful ...

propeller.wikispaces.com/Oscillator
    edited 2008-11-16 13:04
    @ hippy:
    Thanks a lot for your link. It's very useful.