Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can the code on a propeller be protected? — Parallax Forums

Can the code on a propeller be protected?

grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
edited 2008-11-12 03:55 in Propeller 1
Yea, just wanted to know if the program I up load to a propeller can be protected. Can someone rip the code off the prop? Is there a way I can protect it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
    edited 2008-11-12 03:03
    The code stored on serial eeprom can be read with a little bit of know how and a little bit of hardware. There isn't a built in way to protect the code, but the code is already protected by the law. Any protections that anyone can put in place on any code in hardware can be overcome with enough diligence and ingenuity -- look at BluRay's DRM. Your best protection is legal and trusting in people to do what is right.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-12 03:55
    There have been discussions ad nauseum about code protection. As J. A. Streich mentioned, there is no built-in support for code protection on the Prop I. There may be some limited support on the Prop II (in the form of a fusible 32-bit ROM) that could be used to hold a unique serial number or decryption key. None of this would prevent a determined hacker from stealing code stored in a Prop II, it would just make it take more work.