Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How do I program this light bar? — Parallax Forums

How do I program this light bar?

geoldrgeoldr Posts: 15
edited 2008-11-12 07:22 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, I am trying to program this bar to work like KITT (From Knight Rider) scan bar. You know, the red scanner in the front? Anyways, how do I set this up. I have Board of education and BS2.
Here are images of the bar

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6886/img0027ca1.jpg

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3452/img0028rm6.jpg

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-11-12 02:16
    It's most likely just a number of LED's put into a single package. I have a similar one from Mouser, and the pins are arranged in pairs on a side.

A+ A- B- B+

C- C+ C+ C-

The letter represents an LED, the +- represents polarity. I had to add my own resistors. The easiest thing for you to figure out which polarity to use is to use a multimeter with resistor detection (that can tell you if you have an open loop). Find the pairs, and find the polarity.

Except for the package type, it should work exactly like any other LED, except in this case you have 3/4 dozen (or so)

Edit: posting links to pictures is a good idea (rather than plain text), or if the pictures are relatively small (see the sticky in the support forum) you can post them inline.
  • geoldrgeoldr Posts: 15
    edited 2008-11-12 03:32
    Sorry I am new to this whole thing. I have no clue how to start hooking it up!
    edited 2008-11-12 03:47
    No problem. Do you still have a question?

Before you can hook it up, you have to find the LED pairs (of anode and cathode). Find just one or two for now. Next, write that down, and plug the module into a breadboard over the wide strip in the middle. This isolates each set of pins. Then, using your diagram, hook it up just like you would with any regular LED: see "what's a microcontroller" for more information on that.
    edited 2008-11-12 05:31
    Thank you for all your help so far, I have read that some companies cut one wire short to indicate a cathode. I have two red LED which are from Parallax. I have used them multiple times with the board of education. This bar of lights, has 20 connectors. And I have no idea which ones are cathodes/anodes. Also, if it is hooked up in the strip in the middle, how would I set it up with the breadboard. I hear lots of references to the "whats a microcontroller" documentation, but I can't seem to find it. I have a Boe-Bot book handy.
    edited 2008-11-12 06:02
    Never mind, I have downloaded the "What's a microcontroller" and I am reading it now!
    edited 2008-11-12 07:22
    Here is an array that looks similar to the one that you posted. Note that the LED connections go across the module.

Array

Below is the data sheet for a module where the LED pins are next to each other on a single side. Look at page four

My Array