Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming a BS-1 compatible stamp with newer Laptops — Parallax Forums

Programming a BS-1 compatible stamp with newer Laptops

Tony CTony C Posts: 4
edited 2008-11-12 20:09 in BASIC Stamp
I bought a Counterfeit Stamp (BS-1 compatible) many years ago, and have recently found it in my garage.
I want to use it for a project, but the programming cable which came with the stamp has a 25-pin parallel port connector on it.
My laptop only has a 9-pin serial port, and USB connectors.

How do people program BS1's on today's laptops?

I've downloaded the 2.4 version of the Stamp editor, wrote the program, but can't program the stamp. I just need a cable.

Thanks

Comments

• RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2008-11-11 21:20
    Parallax makes an adapter for programming their BS-1 through a serial port, maybe it would work for you.

Basic Stamp 1 Serial Adapter

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-11-12 00:39
    Go to any electronics store and get a nine-pin to 25-pin serial adapter. It's a standard item that should cost about thrity cents, but in retail stores it may be five or six bucks. Make sure that each end has the gender (male or female) that you need. The adapters come in all different gender combinations.

Or you can buy a cable with a 9-pin male at one end and a 25-pin female at the other end. Utterly common also.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i
  • Tony CTony C Posts: 4
    edited 2008-11-12 00:47
    "Go to any electronics store and get a nine-pin to 25-pin serial adapter. It's a standard item that should cost about thrity cents, but in retail stores it may be five or six bucks. Make sure that each end has the gender (male or female) that you need. The adapters come in all different gender combinations.

Or you can buy a cable with a 9-pin male at one end and a 25-pin female at the other end. Utterly common also."

The original cable/connector was for a 25-pin parallel port, not a serial port.
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-11-12 00:57
    Ah so. Missed that. I think you're out of luck. It wasn't really quite so "BS1 compatible" after all, was it? If it were programmed through a serial port it could be "BS1 compatible". If not, not.

Of course you could go on eBay and get a nice old laptop with a parallel port, probably pretty cheap. Or look in the classifieds in your local newspaper. Even in small towns they're crawling with people trying to get rid of perfectly good older PCs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-12 01:10
    Look in the Stamp Manual for the programming schematic for the BS1.· There are 3 pins involved one of which is ground (Vss).· Trace back the wires in the 25-pin parallel port connector to the Stamp and compare the connections to those shown in the Stamp Manual.· You can then substitute the BS1 Serial Programming Adapter and that'll work fine with your DB9 serial port (or USB adapter).· Note that not all USB to serial adapters will work for Stamp programming.· Those with an FTDI chip usually work and Keyspan's High Speed USB Serial Adapter works.

The original BS1 was always programmed via a parallel port.· When those started to become rare, Parallax came up with the BS1 Serial Programming Adapter which works with a standard serial port or a proper USB to Serial Adapter.· The newer BS1 (HomeWork Board and USB BS1) devices have this programming adapter built in.
  • Tony CTony C Posts: 4
    edited 2008-11-12 01:15
    I think when they claimed "BS1- Compatible, they are referring to the language only.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've ordered one of these

www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CablesConverters/tabid/166/CategoryID/40/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/44/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2008-11-12 20:09
    Tony C,

The parallel port isn't supported by the Basic Stamp Editor for Windows; you would need to use a standard DB9 or USB to Serial with the appropriate BS1 Serial Adapter, which you have already purchased. The old editor that supported the BS1 on the parallel or printer port was running in a DOS environment; which changed after Win98. So to clarify, you would need a serial port, USB to Serial or an older version of the Basic Stamp Editor to utilize the parallel port for programming.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Joshua Donelson

www.parallax.com