Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DS1302 Timekeeping Chip for timing of lights? — Parallax Forums

DS1302 Timekeeping Chip for timing of lights?

l8_apex_itl8_apex_it Posts: 16
edited 2008-11-10 23:42 in BASIC Stamp
I was thinking of using the DS1302 Timekeeping Chip for controlling two lights on my reef tank. I have two different lights and want them to turn on and off at two different times. Would this device be an efficient way of keeping track of time for daily turning on and off lights?

I'm fairly new so if there is a better way I'm all ears.

Comments

• AmaralAmaral Posts: 176
    edited 2008-11-10 00:15
    That will work perfectely for you .. you will have to manage the alarms in the BASIC STAMP, a simple IF statement can handle it.. but it will work fine and there's a lot of documents about this Chip making it very easy to use.

Hope to Help

Amaral
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-11-10 00:16
    A lot depends on whether you are doing anything else. The ds1302 won't turn the lights on and off without other hardware and if this is all you need a couple of timers from the hardware store would cost less and be easier to program. That being said, A stamp, ds1302 and a couple of SSRs could do it for you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • l8_apex_itl8_apex_it Posts: 16
    edited 2008-11-10 00:53
    thanks for the replies.
    I did a quick search for the ds1302 within parallax and did not see much in the way of programming. I'll do a bit more searching. If anyone has programming they used to do something similar to what I'm hoping to do feel free to point me int he right direction. Otherwise I don't mind playing around once I get the hardware together.

Yes I was planning on using a few SSR's.

thanks again!
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-11-10 04:13
    Of course, you could just buy one of those little mechanical timers they use for sprinkler systems, interior lights and such. They are basically a little electric clock with a rotating 24-hour dial that has bumps on it to actuate switches. I think they're about ten bucks at places like Lowe's, or Home Depot. For two lights I guess you'd need two of them.

But it wouldn't be as much fun.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i
    edited 2008-11-10 07:31
    well now that wouldn't be nearly as expensive, fun, or educational. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Actually I want to have the setup monitor the temperature. If the temperature starts to get a bit warm I can shut off a light or even two.
    I am hoping to slowly build upon it over time.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-11-10 17:34
    l8_apex_it said...(trimmed)
    I did a quick search for the ds1302 within parallax and did not see much in the way of programming.
    Right here on the forums is probably the most complete information regarding the DS1302.· Please see the DS1302 Demo Code available from the following link.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=741629

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2008-11-10 23:42
    Thanks for the link Chris.

Post Edited (l8_apex_it) : 11/10/2008 11:50:30 PM GMT