Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Samp 2 OEM - Cannot communicate — Parallax Forums

Basic Samp 2 OEM - Cannot communicate

nobody102nobody102 Posts: 8
edited 2008-11-09 08:44 in BASIC Stamp
Someome gave me a Stamp 2 OEM kit.· I build it as shown.· When I run the Identify command from the IDE, it does not find anything.· I checked the power on the Vss and Vdd pins on the PIC chip on the board, and it is showing +5V correctly.· I tested the serial cable by connecting a modem to it and it seems to function.· So I either
made a mistake in construction, or have a bad kit.· Any other steps to debug?· I have a scope also.· Is there a clock out output to check or some other diagnostic on the PIC chip to check.

Thanks!

Comments

• nobody102nobody102 Posts: 8
    edited 2008-11-08 21:22
    I checked the clock output on Pin 26
    on a scope, and there is a nice Sine wave. I also ran a serial port analyzer, and see this:

Port opened by process "Stampw.exe" (PID: 1424)

00 42 00 65 00 58 00 50 00 49 00 54 .B.e.X.P.I.T

Port closed
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-11-08 21:55
    Does your cable connect DTR, DSR, RTS, etc.? Modems seldom need any of these, but the Stamp does. Therefore, using a modem does not test the cable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i
    edited 2008-11-08 22:18
    I hooked up a modem just to see of the COM port was active.· It is a standard 9-pin staight-through cable. I am going to try another cable.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-11-09 00:11
    A have a few questions to ask that might help:

- Are you connecting to a real serial port or are you using a USB to Serial Converter?

- Are you using the latest BASIC Stamp programming software?

- When you try to identify the OEM Stamp does anything come back? Device type, Version, Loopback, or Echo?

Of you look at the schematic for the BS2p40 or BS2SX modules they usually show the serial connection on the bottom of the page. Is that what you are connecting to the serial cable? It has a jumper for the loop back (not always needed) and a couple of caps which are used to reset the Stamp for programming.
    edited 2008-11-09 01:25
    - Are you connecting to a real serial port or are you using a USB to Serial Converter?

* Real serial port

- Are you using the latest BASIC Stamp programming software?

* Basic Stamp Editor V2.3.9.

- When you try to identify the OEM Stamp does anything come back? Device type, Version, Loopback, or Echo?

* Loopback and Echo = Y, Device Type and Version = blank

Of you look at the schematic for the BS2p40 or BS2SX modules they usually show the serial connection on the bottom of the page. Is that what you are connecting to the serial cable? It has a jumper for the loop back (not always needed) and a couple of caps which are used to reset the Stamp for programming.

* I am connecting to the DB9 connector that was soldered onto the OEM board. There are no other connectors on the board.

Thanks!
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-11-09 02:02
    There is a V2.4 of the BASIC Stamp editor but you should be fine with the version you have.

You are getting the echo because of R1 across the RX and TX lines which is normal. Since you are getting that and the loop back that is a good sign.

Was this a pre-assembled module or kit built? Q3 is supposed to be a 2n3906 and if it is mixed up with one of the other two it won't work. I would double check everything to make sure all the parts are in the right place. Also look for solder bridges or cold solder joints and clean up any that look questionable.

Robert
    edited 2008-11-09 02:45
    Thanks. It was a kit.
    edited 2008-11-09 03:31
    It was Q3! I should RTFM.... Fixed it and it works. I hate de-soldering! Thanks for everyone's generous help!
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-11-09 08:44
    nobody102

The manual clearly states that the pins should be pre-formed before insertin into the PCB for Q1,Q2,Q3,and U3....But like Myself ; This part Is'nt read untill It does'nt work,And then We read "that" part of the manual........Details...Details...Details...

________________________$WMc%________________________________Details________