Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about POLL* commands — Parallax Forums

Question about POLL* commands

max72max72 Posts: 1,155
edited 2008-11-07 17:41 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I started using the Basic stamp module (BS2SX) and i am really happy with it, nonetheless I am planning to improve my project, so I have a couple of questions:
I have a couple of sensors sending serial data. The data is sent every second or so. I am also planning to have a sensor connected via the wireless modules. In both cases I have to listen to one of the sensors (or the AM module), get the data, and then listen to the other one.
Considering also processing time I have possible delays between two readings, due to my approach.
Could a BS2p/pe help me with the poll commands?
If I wanted to move up to the SX or the Propeller family, would I be able to better handle my task? In both cases?

Thanks,
Massimo

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-07 17:30
    The Propeller would be the best choice since several processors (cogs) could be receiving serial information at the same time and the serial I/O (depending on the I/O driver used) is normally buffered.

The POLL statements of the BS2p series work with simple digital signals, not with serial inputs. All of the Stamps are only capable of handling one serial port at a time and these are unbuffered (if your program is doing something else when the serial data comes in, it's lost). You could use an external serial buffer like those from Protean Logic (www.proteanlogic.com/product_periph_rs232.shtml).
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2008-11-07 17:41
    Thank you.
    I'll consider the two options.

Massimo