Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone using a PropPlug (or USB2SER) as an adapter for programming an OEM BASIC — Parallax Forums

Anyone using a PropPlug (or USB2SER) as an adapter for programming an OEM BASIC

RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
edited 2008-11-07 18:50 in BASIC Stamp
Just wondering if anyone has already been using either a PropPlug or USB2SER adapter for programming an OEM BASIC Stamp. Since I have a PropPlug I thought it would be good to use this as well for programming an OEM Stamp. Instead of adding the extra Serial components I can just put a 4-pin header on the board instead.

Also, it appears that there is a mistake on the datasheet for the USB2SER adapter (Revision B). The schematic looks like it cam from the PropPlug so the wiring doesn't match up with the pinout. The wiring for the original USB2SER does appear correct. Can someone from Parallax confirm this?

Robert

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-11-07 16:33
    Robert,

The documentation was updated; perhaps it wasn’t on the web. In any event I will follow up on it. The output connections were incorrect. As for using these devices to program a BASIC Stamp you cannot. The BS2 Modules are expecting an inverted RS-232 level signal whereas the Prop Plug and USB2SER deal in a non-inverted CMOS level signal. I posted schematics in the Completed Projects Forum for using the Prop Plug or USB2SER to program an OEM BASIC Stamp where you are connecting directly to the interpreter chip. That is the only way you could do it. Otherwise you would have to add a MAX232 or similar driver to the output of these devices to provide the inverted RS-232 signals. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-11-07 18:50
    Hello Chris,

I guess I should have been a bit more specific about how I was thinking about using the PropPlug. When I mentioned the OEM BASIC Stamp I was referring to the pre-programmed OEM chips from Parallax. I hadn't seen your post about it in the Completed projects area and will check it out.

Thank You,

Robert