Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop to Prop wireless based on hydra example? — Parallax Forums

Prop to Prop wireless based on hydra example?

TJHJTJHJ Posts: 243
edited 2008-11-07 18:28 in Propeller 1
Hello All,
I may just way over my head here, but wireless is not my strong point. So I was thinking a few have done some things receiving specific signals on the prop using counters, propRadio comes to mind. Why cant we change the signal slightly and use the same method of broadcast that the hydra uses. It broadcasts its video signal with little more than an antenna hooked up to a pin. Maybe Im missing part of this, but it seems to me to be a simple idea to make 2 props wireless if the same method could be used to receive a signal. Two antennas to two pins on each prop and bam 2 way communication. I haven't the slightest clue what the speed would be, but would this even be possible? Or has it been done?

It seems fairly simple, but ive said that before to have it bite me hard.

So what do you all think, possible? Built in prop RF comm?

TJ

Comments

• J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
    edited 2008-11-07 06:14
    Haven't played with the hydra, but I know that people have done stuff with RF and the prop. That said, using the prop as a transceiver for digital data on a project that has a number of issues. Digital data isn't fault tollerent, a few misplaced bits and what you get is useless. Typically the RF stuff I've seen is capturing an analog signal and doing ADC on it, small differencces in an analog signal that will played back isn't a big deal, but on sending precious digital data it is. I'd recommend something like XBee, IR or other tried and tested method for digital data.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-11-07 09:53
    Spark Fun sells the MiRF V2 modules which use the nRF24L01. They are quite easy to use.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-11-07 18:28
    Hi TJ,
    Transmitting RF is certainly possible with the Propeller, the issue comes at receiving, not entirely impossible but it's far from trivial.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.