Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop Serial Number or Unique ID — Parallax Forums

Prop Serial Number or Unique ID

pgbpsupgbpsu Posts: 460
edited 2008-11-06 22:20 in Propeller 1
Does the Prop contain a unique serial number or ID anywhere? I've looked through the manual and tried searching the forums, but I've not found anything stating that it does. I assume this means it doesn't. Just looking for confirmation.

I'm building multiple units with identical hardware and I'd like to stamp the data collected from each unit so problems can be traced back to the hardware on which it was collected. Several of my components have unique IDs, but since the Prop is the brains of the whole operation, it'd be the simplest place to get a unique ID (if it has one).

Thanks,
Peter

Comments

• dMajodMajo Posts: 855
    edited 2008-11-06 16:01
    As I know it haven't (bur I am a newbe) but you can use FM31L278 from ramtron instead of the calssic eeprom and you have it (64bit with a lot of other features) and whats best you set it so you can use your own scheme
  • pgbpsupgbpsu Posts: 460
    edited 2008-11-06 16:27
    @dMajo-

That was my suspicion. I was hoping someone from Parallax might confirm that there isn't a hidden register we're unaware of. My system has several opportunities for setting one time registers and reading them back. I'm a big believer in KISS (keep it simple stupid) so I was hoping to use a Prop function if it existed....

Cheers,
    pgb
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,687
    edited 2008-11-06 17:35
    I your design also includes an FT232R then you can use the unique serial number of this device.
    But this number is only readable from the connected PC over USB, not from the Prop.

Andy
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-11-06 21:07
    1-wire from Maxim (http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/1796), thier devices have a 64 bit ID which could be used for board id, and they only consume 1 pin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • pgbpsupgbpsu Posts: 460
    edited 2008-11-06 21:37
    Hi Paul-

Thanks for your response. I'll take it to mean that there is no hidden S/N or ID register. Turns out the DataFlash chips we are using have one-time programmable registers that we can use to store individual S/N of our choosing for each unit. They also have factory programmed unique 64-bit IDs as well. So we have a solution.

Thanks,
    Peter
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-11-06 22:20
    Sorry for not providing a direct answer, you're correct there is no ID built into the Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.