Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PING ))) eco problems — Parallax Forums

PING ))) eco problems

David Alvarez CDavid Alvarez C Posts: 2
edited 2008-11-06 23:08 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi, I wonder why the eco pulse I receive from the sensor·is only 0.5 volts, I·had connect the signal to my micro MC68HC908GP32, I am connecting the PING))) to 5 volts as the data sheet indicates, but something must be wrong, because the eco pulso must be 5 volts right?
·
Thank you for your advice
640 x 480 - 126K
640 x 480 - 125K

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-06 01:29
    The echo pulse is normally 5V (or slightly below that).

1) Somehow the scope is set wrong (most likely) and you really do have a 5V pulse.

2) There's something odd about how you've connected everything together. You'll have to post a diagram.

3) The PING))) is somehow damaged or there's a error in its manufacture.

Logic like the PING))) rarely fails with a low output voltage. It either works or you get nothing.
    Maybe the microcontroller has a problem or is programmed incorrectly so it's shorting out the PING)))'s output.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 11/6/2008 1:34:56 AM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-11-06 16:13
    I’ve seen this scope reading before…usually from college students experimenting with the PING))) using a scope and a pulse/signal generator. The problem in this case is that the signal generator is asserting the line so the PING))) cannot drive the line for the return pulse properly. My guess is you are not setting the I/O pin on your microcontroller to an input immediately after the trigger pulse. As an output, it would fight to keep the line low against the PING))) which has an internal series resistor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • David Alvarez CDavid Alvarez C Posts: 2
    edited 2008-11-06 17:48
    You are totally right, that was the problem.
    I fix it this morning.

thanks for your help guys .
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2008-11-06 23:08
    You've already solved the problem, but this result can come from having a 10x 'scope probe when expecting a 1x reading. The coincidence that caught my attention was a beautiful 0.5 volt reading when you expected 5.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com

Post Edited (Tracy Allen) : 11/6/2008 11:14:10 PM GMT