Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New with the propeller, where is it suggested that I start? — Parallax Forums

New with the propeller, where is it suggested that I start?

Tyler STyler S Posts: 2
edited 2008-11-06 03:30 in Propeller 1
On the propeller downloads page there are four different programs offered to program a propeller chip. As a beginner, I find it hard to know which would be best for me to learn.

I plan to use the propeller for robotics and eventually I will be doing custom work (not just using spin). My thinking is that I should just bite the bullet and learn the most powerful tool first even if it is a little more complex.

I'm a mechanical engineer whose programmed extensively with VBA macros and in MATLAB. I have some programming experience, but I have almost no experience programming a micro-controller.

There's the Propeller Tool, Propellant, Parallax Serial Terminal, and ICCV7. I would prefer to avoid ICCV7 for now since it costs money (I don't think I'd use the advanced features for a while anyways).

As far as hardware I have a Propeller professional development board that I won at a Propeller expo a few months ago. I've been so busy at work that I've just now gotten around to using it. I'd like to learn something that would complement that board well.

Can anyone provide a quick summary of the advantages and disadvantages to each of the software packages and which you think would be best for me?

Thanks,
Tyler

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-11-05 04:35
    Any of the Propeller products are fine on the hardware side for learning the Propeller.
    The PPDB is an excellent product! There's a couple good threads started {will have to dig up}
    on that product specifically.

I would start with the Propeller Manual and Propeller Tool. {Unless you are Mac/Linux, then BST}

Take a look at the PEkit labs {in the forum stickies}. They contain a lot of information you can
    use directly with your Propeller board.

and of course obex.parallax.com for code and great examples to follow.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-11-05 04:35
    Hello Tyler,

Welcome to the forum.

The Propeller Tool is the choice.
    Propellant is just a commandline compiler for use with other front ends
    Parallax Serial Terminal is NOT a compiler but a serial terminal to send/receive data via a serial connection between Propeller and a PC
    ICCV7 is a C-compiler.

best regards

Stefan
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-11-05 04:37
    It occurs to me that you will find the next links useful as well.

The Propeller Manual
    www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/prop/WebPM-v1.01.pdf

Propeller Tool
    www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/sw/propeller/Setup-Propeller-Tool-v1.2.exe

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-11-05 06:34
    I'm still learning, but here is my recomended sequence:

PE Kit labs
    N&V Articles
    Propeller Manual

I put the manual last, since I read it first and was very discouraged. I found that it was very densely packed, and very quick introduction to new topics. The PE labs are more formatted for new learners. while the manual is more set up for lifetime programmers with years under their belt (may be slight exageration...). I'm just now going back over the manual and saying, "yeah, that looks familiar. I understand that now."
  • kensongkensong Posts: 16
    edited 2008-11-05 09:34
    I suggest PropTool is the best starting point.
    Play with it and get a feel for it, it's quite intuitive and easy, then everything else you do will be comfortable
    because the "Main Tool" feels easy.
  • Tyler STyler S Posts: 2
    edited 2008-11-06 03:30
    Wow, thanks a lot for the information everyone!