Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Please help!!! — Parallax Forums

Please help!!!

PashaPasha Posts: 56
edited 2008-11-05 16:52 in Propeller 1
I have been trying unsuccessfully to connect an sd card up to my propeller for a while already. I tried the schematic with pullup resistors that is part of Rickoki's fsrw and friends code, as well as the one in the Propeller cookbook that does not have pullup resistors or anything assigned to pins 8 and 9 I keep getting the -20 error. can anyone help me?

Comments

• CannibalRoboticsCannibalRobotics Posts: 535
    edited 2008-11-04 20:51
    Can't help but I'm pulling for you, I just got one in the mail yesterday and it's going to be powered up today.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Signature space for rent, only $1.
    Send cash and signature to CannibalRobotics.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-04 21:00
    Can't help you much without further information ... like a schematic of your actual hookup (not what you think it should be) and your test code.

People often hook these things up backwards, mix up DI and DO ... all kinds of things.

Also make sure your SD card is formatted with a FAT16 or FAT file system, not FAT32. It won't work with FAT32.
  • Computer Geek 101Computer Geek 101 Posts: 179
    edited 2008-11-04 21:04
    When I first hooked up an SD card, I had problems because the card was different. It was a 32Mb card and the pins on it are different than my 1Gb cards. I connected a 1Gb card and it worked without problems.
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-11-04 22:59
    -20 means it is not a FAT16 card. You will need to reformat it with FAT16 to use it with the SD driver.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
  • PashaPasha Posts: 56
    edited 2008-11-05 14:56
    My cards are a 16 megabite sd card which i formated with xp in the comand prompt with the following command format f: /fs:fat /a:2048 when it formated it told me that there were 16 bits in each fat entry. It had been telling me that there were only 12 bits before when i had been using a different cluster size. I also am using a 2gb sd card formated in the same way except i used a 32k cluster size like recommended. I have checked and rechecked my hardware even using an ohm meter to make sure there was conductivity along the lines. I found that my floppy connecter was not making good contact, so I soldered it in. It mounted my 2gb sd card once, but only once. I will continue working. ps. It gives me the -20 error even without an sd card in the holder.
    edited 2008-11-05 15:06
    I just rechecked my wiring with the ohm meter pin 8 is unconected, 7 goes to propeller pin 0, 6 goes to gnd, 5 to prop pin 2, 4 to +3.3v, 3 to gnd, 2 to prop pin 2, 1 to prop pin 3, and 9 is also unconnected
    edited 2008-11-05 15:12
    I am using sdrw_test.spin from fsrw and friends v1.6
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-11-05 16:52
    Pasha,

In the future please try to use a descriptive subject for your posts. Please Help doesn’t convey what you need help with. This will often limit potential useful responses as those who can help may never see your message.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering