Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Possible to use sound files like mp3 or .wav? — Parallax Forums

Possible to use sound files like mp3 or .wav?

Bing~Bing~ Posts: 3
edited 2008-11-04 20:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I'm working on a project for my microprocessor class.· Originally I was going to build a weather station but had to scrap that for cost reasons.· Now, I'm working on making a school mascot doll similar to the Caddyshack dancing gopher.· (http://www.amazon.com/Caddyshack-Gopher-Sings-Dances-Alright/dp/B00004U3B4)·

We actually had a gopher that we broke down to inspect how it worked.· We found that the gopher is basically controlled by a PIC.· So, the question is, is there a way to save MP3's or .wav files to a stamp?· We purchaced a soundPal and we can make that work for playing tones (and have already written and tested song tones), but I'd rather play a song file like the caddyshack gopher does.· Has anyone done anything like this or maybe know how this is accomplished on the caddyshack gopher?· Thanks

Bing~

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-04 20:48
    You can't do it with a Stamp. It's not fast enough and there's not enough memory.

A PIC is fast enough to produce sounds, but it doesn't have much memory either, but enough for some brief sounds. MP3 format is too complex and too computationally difficult to process for a Stamp or a PIC, but some simpler (and larger) sound formats are possible. It's also possible to have an external ROM for storage of sound information for a PIC to copy to some kind of digital to analog converter. Again, a Stamp is too slow to work at this level.

Other possibilities ...

1) With a PIC, you could use an MP3 decoder chip like this one: www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8819

2) There are some sound recorders like the QV606 that can be used with a Stamp or other microcontroller: www.quadravox.com/frameset/qvframeset.htm

3) Novoton (www.nuvoton-usa.com/en/content/view/36/ - used to be Winbond) makes sound recorder chips that can be controlled from a Stamp that can hold a couple of minutes of low to medium fidelity sound. These may be what's used in the gopher.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 11/4/2008 8:57:19 PM GMT