Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
extending range of RFID chip — Parallax Forums

extending range of RFID chip

MacFlecknoeMacFlecknoe Posts: 2
edited 2008-11-10 00:48 in BASIC Stamp
I recently bought an RFID Card Reader Serial module and it works great. Its unsuitable for my project however and I am hoping to modify it to get it to work.

I need to extend its range to 2-3 feet. Can I get this kind of range by modifying the antennae? Has anyone attempted to do this or have knowledge of what is required? If not are there any other RFID solutions available that may be more suited to the range I require that I can integrate into my basic stamp / misc-microcontroller project?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-11-03 17:22
    Hello,

This type of reader is not really designed for that kind of range. It’s not just the reader, it is the tags as well. Their range is limited (passive tags) and you can’t change that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-11-08 06:36
    MacFlecknoe

I have a similar app...Mine is to make sure that all the cow's ate,And to keep a head count....I've tried tried the RFID tag "gemick",,Not enough range....But I've looked @ what retailers use for thieft protection,And this might be the answer....I know You've seen the small RFID tag's placed inside A highend Item that You $Pur$ from a Department store....And looking @ the exist from the store,there is a loop Ant. setup to look for this IRID tag.s w/ @ least 24" of range....I have'nt tried to read these other RFID TAG's,,,If You find the time to run this Exper. and can make it work please post it....And I'l do the same

____________________________$WMc%___________________________
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-11-08 15:32
    $WMc%, zigbeef.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-11-10 00:48
    Franklin

Way cool dude..."zigbeef.com".....But like Mr.Macflecknoe,,,,I would like to do this on My own.....1 of Us needs to Exp.w/ the RFID tag from a Department store.. I think this will be the cheaper way to do this... It's just a tought...Xmas is comeing soon So We should all have some of these RFID tag,s And We should be able to see if they have more range...................

___________Trying to Advavce_________$WMc%___________________