Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Turn an FTDI cable/chip into a Propeller Programmer — Parallax Forums

Turn an FTDI cable/chip into a Propeller Programmer

ladyadaladyada Posts: 3
edited 2008-11-03 08:49 in Propeller 1
While this 'features' an FTDI cable, you can also use any sort of FTDI breakout board to achieve the same effect. Useful if you have a prop but no plug, or if you buy parts from, say mouser, and they dont stock plugs.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/ybox2/progcable.html

Comments

• Paul MPaul M Posts: 95
    edited 2008-11-02 20:15
    The FTDI cable is the only·interface I have ever used to program the Prop. If connected directly to the Prop there is no need to add the capacator, nor use the Mprog program to change any of the interface settings, nor is there a need to use the advanced settings for the COM port.··You do however need to change the Propeller Tool's "Propeller Reset Signal" in <Edit> <Preferences> <Operation> tab to "RTS".··Hope that make sense....
  • ladyadaladyada Posts: 3
    edited 2008-11-02 21:42
    Sigh, I didn't even see that...I feel silly. I'll quickly modify the page confused.gif

edit: ha! now nobody can tell that I didn't read the manual smilewinkgrin.gif

Post Edited (ladyada) : 11/2/2008 9:51:51 PM GMT
  • Paul MPaul M Posts: 95
    edited 2008-11-03 07:29
    No need to feel silly!
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-11-03 08:21
    Neat, I just tried this and it works a treat!

Nice tutorial on how to do it too....

Thanks, saves me buying a spare Prop Plug now tongue.gif

Regards,

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PropGFX Forums - The home of the Hybrid Development System and PropGFX Lite
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-11-03 08:49
    I use an FTDI 2232 (dual ports) on a 40-pin module (like a stamp). Works great! I have run both ports using 2 instances of PropTool to 2 Proto Boards. Also have had 2 FDX ports working on the one Proto Board. I use DTR (x2) with the P2N2222 etc for the reset. Also works with PST and DevStudio. smile.gif