Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SPIN Byte Codes - Public Domain? — Parallax Forums

SPIN Byte Codes - Public Domain?

PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
edited 2008-11-03 08:52 in Propeller 1
Since the SPIN bye codes were published/disclosed etc are they considered in the public domain.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Adequatio Rei Et Intellectus

Post Edited (Praxis) : 11/2/2008 6:06:50 PM GMT

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-11-02 17:54
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "SPIN byte code" or "released" and it's hard to guess what the underlying question really is.

The only official disclosure of the Propeller firmware has been the ROM source code for which Parallax Inc holds the copyright.
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-11-02 18:03
    Let me put it another way;

What are the copyright implications (if any) for third party tools that compile/assemble for the byte code interpreter?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-11-02 18:55
    You can make your tools. You, of course, own the copyright on your tool, and Parallax owns the copyright on the byte codes. IMHO, as long as that development effort targets the propeller, you are golden! That was the intent behind releasing the ROM. We've got lots of compilers now, Linux / Mac dev tools (YES!!), and other goodies all being produced, in part because of this.

The interpreter will just run the byte codes it sees. How those byte codes are realized is an open discussion at this point.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-02 20:05
    potatohead,
    Parallax doesn't own the copyright on the byte codes. They have the copyright on the bootloader and the interpreter which are programs and can be copyrighted. The byte code functionality was a trade secret of Parallax's and it was independently decoded and described by individuals working with publicly available information, namely the compiled output of the Propeller Tool (another trade secret program) when fed programs written by these individuals.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,545
    edited 2008-11-02 23:38
    The way I'm reading this is: A story can be copyrighted. The language it's written with can be patented. And the names used for each can be trademarked.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-11-03 02:15
    My mistake there! I thought I saw those published. Must have only been the programs themselves. If they have been reverse engineered, then of course that's just freely available information then.

Thanks Mike!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-11-03 03:14
    @Praxis: Depending on what you want I suggest you PM Chip. He was very helpful when I asked about the Interpreter.

If there is any rights to the bytecode (I am not a lawyer) and your use is for the benefit of Parallax I don't believe there will be any problems. I would presume this includes the Gear simulator, as this still benefits Parallax.

However, if you wanted to use them in another processor, then maybe there would be implications to this.
  • PraxisPraxis Posts: 333
    edited 2008-11-03 07:37
    Reply from Parallax to the question.
    Chip Gracey said...

Parallax' position is that everyone is welcomed to make their own compilers for use with our built-in Spin interpreter. We entertain no legal theories that someone developing software for the Propeller chip could be in violation of any of our own intellectual property rights. So, feel free to do your work. We hope you make a nice product that will complement our Propeller chip.

Sincerely,

Chip Gracey of Parallax, Inc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-11-03 08:52
    Parallax's position is so refreshing smile.gif