Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A question about the photo sensor?? — Parallax Forums

A question about the photo sensor??

magnetomagneto Posts: 7
edited 2008-11-01 20:35 in BASIC Stamp
Hi

I have a photo sensor (photo resistor) with three pins Vdd , Vss and Vout . can I use it with basic stamp to measure light with the same idea as the ping))) sensor ? I mean without using analog to digital for Vout?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-01 19:17
    A photo resistor would not have 3 pins, so this must be something else. In order to answer your question, you'll need to provide more information about your sensor. It could be something the Stamp could handle directly or it might require an analog to digital converter. There's no way to tell from your description.
  • magnetomagneto Posts: 7
    edited 2008-11-01 19:38
    Thanks alot Mr. Mike Green for your response.
    My sensor called TSL12S-LF

Please·visit this link you will find the data sheet.

http://gamma.octopart.com/TAOS__TSL12S-LF__0.pdf

Regards,

·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-01 20:21
    Read the description on the datasheet that you posted. This sensor puts out an analog voltage from zero to just under the supply voltage depending on the light intensity. You will need some kind of analog to digital conversion. There are all sorts of examples of this in the various Parallax tutorials like "Basic Analog and Digital" here (www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx) and in several Nuts and Volts Columns here (www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/tabid/272/Default.aspx).
  • magnetomagneto Posts: 7
    edited 2008-11-01 20:35
    Thank you very much [noparse]:)[/noparse]