Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TriColor LED — Parallax Forums

TriColor LED

slamzeeslamzee Posts: 8
edited 2010-08-08 09:11 in BASIC Stamp
I have a Radio Shack 276-0028 hooked up to a Basic2. I have toggle each color by switching the outputs to LOW, and I can get blue-green together. But anytime I use Red the led is just red. Putting all outputs to low should make a white like, but it is just red. red+green should make yellow, but it is just red.

Any ideas?

Legs 1,3, and 4 are connected to P3,p4, and p5

Leg #2 is connected to VSS through a 470 ohm resistor.

Sorry if this is a newbie question, I did a search on the forums and didn't find anything.
nono.gif

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-10-31 22:06
    The three leds each have different efficiencies so you need to use different values of resistance on each leg. There are ways to calculate this from the specs but RS probably didn't give you any. best way would be to change the values until you get close to white when all three are on. connect leg 2 to vss and put the resistors in the other three.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-08-08 09:07
    It's not that simple, there is a built-in IC that cycles through colors. You trigger the sequence with the pins, it's automatic but there is a manual mode, too. Looks interesting, but users are all frustrated at the lack of a data sheet. Check the tech specs & reviews at http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3020765 for some info. There was a previous post about this (~2 months ago) that had some useful replies. Good luck searching for it! :)