Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
OBEX comments — Parallax Forums

OBEX comments

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2008-10-31 21:46 in Propeller 1
A new user wants to get off the ground running... after reading for about 10 minutes... he wants to start on his robot... and understanding a little about spin and the use of objects, this is absolutely possible.

However, nothing is perfect... ever... anywhere... in the recorded history of mankind.

Goren

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=303925

has made some comments about one of the objects in the exchange. In my experience there are a few other objects... which require information that isn't included... little tips or facts that would help the new user get off the ground and flying.

Information, which an absolute beginner should know, frequently isn't available in the object documentation.

Unfortunately unless Goren submits his object to the OBEX, within a month or two http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=303925 will be lost to posterity and re-discovered somewhere in the future.

Every user that tries to use the object and fails will either have to re-discover these facts by himself or be reminded of them by Mike, Beau, Phil, Paul, etc.

All of this could be avoided if there were a comment section on each Object page of the OBEX, where users could forever post object specific information, experience and cautions. Not opinions or contentions... just information, which the moderator could choose to moderate.

Rich
ILMP

Comments

• Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 757
    edited 2008-10-31 13:50
    Good idea, rjo_.

A few people have used the Review feature for this, but as you rightly pointed out, it isn't intended to be a comments-type feature (only allows one entry per user, for example).· I also really like your idea of having the collection of comments available as a single text file for download.

I'll add this to the list of scheduled enhancements to the exchange.

Thank you!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • Lord SteveLord Steve Posts: 206
    edited 2008-10-31 14:24
    Wouldn't it be better if the object itself had such commentary?
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-10-31 18:07
    Lord Steve,
    ·
    "Wouldn't it be better if the object itself had such commentary" - Ideally yes it would, but because it's difficult to predict how someone will use an object plus, someone else’s mileage may vary on how an object performes.· It is important to keep the original contents intact and have a side note with others comments as a reference.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Paul MPaul M Posts: 95
    edited 2008-10-31 21:46
    I agree. I have contacted obex.support@parallax.com with comments on a bug in a particular object but my comment obviously disappeared into the ether...... Contacting the author does not always work as they may no longer be interested in supporting the object they wrote. Moderation would probably be required unfortunately.