BASIC Stamp OEM replacements

desulfatordesulfator Posts: 5
edited 2008-10-31 15:25 in BASIC Stamp
Post Edited (desulfator) : 10/31/2008 8:05:54 PM GMT

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-10-30 19:27
    desulfator said...
    It seems Parallax is discontinuing the OEM offerings.
    Where did you get that idea? See this page.

-Phil
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-10-30 19:49
    If you think they will go away why not put a socket on your board and plug in a stamp? You can program almost any chip in basic if you are willing to pay the price for the compiler.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-30 20:02
    1) Parallax discontinues items when the sales volume is too low to sustain the product or the cost of assembly is too high for a cost that they believe customers will pay. That said, the only unique OEM part is the preprogrammed microprocessor and those they will sell as long as they sell the Stamps since they have to use them themselves. The other parts are standard parts available from a variety of providers. The Gerber files for the OEM PCB are already available for doing your own PCB.

2) There are all kinds of competitors. None of them are exact drop-ins. None of them have the same level of support as Parallax does for the Stamps. Ya get what ya pay for ... T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L. (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!) You'll have to do your own evaluation to see what will fill your needs at a price and level of convenience that makes sense for you.

3) This is a Parallax support forum for goodness sakes. If you want to find out about the competition, do some web searching and ask in their forums about their products.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-10-30 20:12
    They still sell the BS2 and BS2sx OEM kits. Instead of making assumptions as to the future of their OEM product line have you tried calling their sales line and ask? Perhaps they may have assembled versions (if that is what you need) even though they aren't listing those on their site.

If you already have your product done and all your code is written and working does it really make sense to switch now to an entirely different processor just because the OEM modules listed for sale require soldering? Those are pretty simple kits and would be easily assembled by anyone with decent soldering experience. I bet if you asked there are members on this forum that you could get to assemble a batch for a reasonable price. As I recall there are a couple people who can do this.

There are a lot of helpful people on these groups but if someone can't do the soldering I would check with your local high schools to see if they have an electronics class. It would be a good learning opportunity for one of their students in real world electronics projects and put a few bucks in a their pocket for gas money.

Robert
    edited 2008-10-30 20:37
    desulfator said...
    The kit offerings are the last step towards phasing out the product line.
    Parallax usually pre-announces end-of-life situations for their products. I don't see anything on either kit product page to indicate that this is the case. Where did you get your information? I'm just trying to establish, first of all, that a real problem even exists.

(Perhaps someone from Parallax can confirm or deny this?)

As an aside: this forum is a free-for-all. As much as they might want to be, the person who starts a thread is not in charge of it: the users are, although courtesy implies that responses stay on-topic. As such, you may have to accept that the solution to your problem may not be a direct answer to the question posed. We're here to help, but not to have our responses dictated.

-Phil
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-10-30 20:43
    The responses here were great! You were told that an exact replacement isn't available, and were given alternative suggestions. Quickly too! And this isn't good enough?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2008-10-30 20:57
    I'm surprised this thread grew to even this size rolleyes.gif
    edited 2008-10-30 21:01
    I think that Phil has a valid point in regards to the OEM modules. Have you confirmed with Parallax that they in fact no longer will supply pre-assembled versions? Until you have actually done that how can you be sure that is the case? If you have concerns about product lines and the operator can't answer perhaps they can transfer you to someone who CAN provide a little more insight. They have always been helpful whenever I have talked to them.

In regards to 'other' manufacturers I am aware of several other variants on the BASIC stamp type chips but none that I know of offer them in a SIP format like the original Parallax OEM Stamp kits. So, if you must switch to something else you'll probably have to migrate to a DIP form factor and that being the case there should be no trouble getting pre-soldered modules from Parallax or anyone else.
    edited 2008-10-30 21:30
    desulfator,

I can understand how you might have become alarmed at the disappearance of the assembled OEM modules and that your mind may be reeling with imagined possibilities regarding the kits. Heck, anyone would be a little apprehensive under similar circumstances. But since, as you said, you almost always purchase the kits anyway, and since there's not yet any actual evidence that these will disappear anytime soon, might you be tilting at a phantom problem?

It's not that we're unwilling to help if there's a real emergency, but I doubt that anyone wants to research a replacement for you if this is nothing more than a tempest in a teapot. So, please, take a deep breath, and first determine if a problem exists. Then, if so, perhaps someone can suggest a replacement.

-Phil
    edited 2008-10-30 21:40
    Well, at least you called them and tried. It is always worth asking first.

I think you have already gotten several real answers but just didn't like them. I've looked at a lot of different processors and modules over the years and something in a SIP format just isn't that common. It's an odd duck for a microcontroller. Most of the other vendors just avoided that and instead, just adopted (or rather copied), the 24-pin DIP form factor and pinout from the Parallax Stamp modules. That is the common standard. Like it or not there may not be any other alternatives other than assembling the OEM kits or rolling your own if you have to stick with the SIP format.
    edited 2008-10-30 21:57
    desulfator,

There are plenty of shops around that can assemble PCBs for you, if you don't have the time or inclination to do it yourself. And the OEM modules look like they'd be a piece of cake for dip- or wave-soldering. One of the forum regulars, Brian Carpenter, does small-lot assembly, if I'm not mistaken. Assuming the kits continue in good supply, contracting out the assembly would be much less disruptive than starting over with something new.

It's worth considering...

-Phil
    edited 2008-10-30 22:01
    That is a nice feature of the through hole components in that you can easily plug in replacements. I still use many through hole parts and probably always will.

Although using the surface mount parts may seem tricky at first they aren't too bad once you get used to them. I've had to replace some of them before and have had good results. It's all in the technique. I use a sharp utility blade and very carefully score the leads on the dead chip. On the SX48 (as used on the BS2p40) you can usually sever the leads right at the chip package. Just be careful not to nick the PCB or traces. Once there just use some fresh solder with the iron and the little blob ends up taking up the old leads from the chip. After that a little solder wick cleans the pads right up. With that a new chip can be soldered in place. I tack down one lead and check orientation. After that solder an opposing pin and check alignment again. Next, just solder the leads and don't worry about bridges. Let it cool then go back over with solder wick and it usually leaves a perfect amount of solder. It may be a bit intimidating at first but after a few it isn't as bad as you might think.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-10-30 23:00
    Wow, this thread got a little carried away. The kit versions of the OEM BASIC Stamps are in no danger of going away. The bottom line is that the OEM kit is designed to demonstrate how to build the module into a design. Selling them assembled isn’t very cost effective and we had planned I believe to discontinue the assembled version but it took some time. You should be just fine building your product if you don’t mind assembling the kit form. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • NR1XNR1X Posts: 111
    edited 2008-10-30 23:09
    I may be wrong, but I do believe that the oem line was intended to teach the inner workings of a microcontroller circuit.. the way to connect the components together. The intent is for designers and hobbyists to include a similar circuit in their own projects/products.. its really not that hard to do.. I had no electronics experiance at all and it took alot of hair pulling , untill i learned the differance between npn and pnp.. now i could roll up a bs2 no problem and the level conversion aka serial interface circuit has come in real handy too. YOU CAN DO IT...
    ·hey chris you fast!!
    edited 2008-10-30 23:37
    desulfator said...
    Isn't the through hole IC capable of driving a little heavier load without resorting to drivers and isolators?
    I'd be surprised if there were a difference. Getting from the lead frame to the silicon in either kind of package is done with hair-thin gold wires, which limits the current more than the leads themselves do.

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2008-10-31 00:18
    Sulphator: I'm baffled by your smug attitude from the very start of this thread. You have·been showered with·patient and thoughtful replies from some of the very best talent here on the forum.·Yet not once have you thanked anyone for their time and effort to reply to you. Just the opposite, you have gone out of your way to type lengthy replies that are curt, dismissive and downright hostile.·Yet I am utterly amazed by the kindness, patience and respect extended to you by the people who have earnestly tried to help you in spite of the unappreciative tone you inject with each reply.

Take some time to study any other thread in any forum to see how smooth, polite, and engaging an interchange can be between people who mutually respect each other's time, opinion, and feelings. Then go back and compare to this thread from the very beginning.·If you don't see·the difference and adjust accordingly,·don't be surprised if·people boycott·your posts in the future.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2008-10-31 01:11
    erco et al -

This is his norm. The last time he was on the Stamp Forum he lodged what I would view as a personal attack on one of the long term forum members. That member left, fully embarrased by the attack, never to return.

That forum member who left taught me one very important lesson he said "Never feed the trolls"! 'Nuf said.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When all else fails, try inserting a new battery.
  • desulfatordesulfator Posts: 5
    edited 2008-10-31 14:36
    Erco, I will be happy to thank whoever provides an answer to the question asked. I asked a simple question and it never was really answered in spite of my continued requests that responses be limited to a specific answer. It is sort of like being stuck in a parking lot with a dead battery and asking folks for a jump start only to be given everything but what you need to get going. I am well aware of the alternatives and will go that route if need be.· So here I sit, still sort of stuck, waiting for a jump that perhaps will never happen.

Bruce, if memory serves me correct, that forum member, initiated a personal attack against me and a process that works. I merely returned the favor. You also have to ask yourself why he was so embarassed. Perhaps the truth was not what he expected when he initiated his attack.

Post Edited (desulfator) : 10/31/2008 3:03:25 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-10-31 15:22
    Desulfator,

I believe your question was answered. Please re-read my previous reply. I don’t know what additional information you require. The assembled units were never a practical product considering their intended purpose and it took a long time to discontinue them. There is no reason to discontinue the kit form as it does exactly what it was intended to. If this answer will not suffice then I would say you will have to base your decisions on that. In the mean time I see tensions brewing and would like to squash that before it escalates. I hope you have your answer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • desulfatordesulfator Posts: 5
    edited 2008-10-31 15:25
    I agree Chris.

Please delete this thread, it serves no purpose.