Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Who would want a voice control module for BS? — Parallax Forums

Who would want a voice control module for BS?

GICU812GICU812 Posts: 289
edited 2008-11-29 03:48 in BASIC Stamp
I don’t see this as being a conflict, since Parallax does not offer anything simular, and I think it is something a lot of people would like to build into their projects. If anyone from Parallax has a problem with this, I'll take it down.
·
I’ve been working with VR Stamp (no parallax relation) and I think I have developed a rather user friendly program. That will interface with the Basic Stamp, it could probably interface with anything, but I’ve programmed it for BS2 for now.
·
Basically, there are four key words it listens for constantly.
·
When it hears a keyword, it emits a very soft beep (optional) then listens for a sub word. Each key word has up to 4 sub words.
When it hears a valid sub word, it sends a serialish signal out one wire, at 3.3v (so I can’t use actual RS232 serial). It will timeout after 3 seconds if it doesn’t hear a valid word, and resume key word listening.
It uses sound files to prompt during training, and for an additional charge, I could add in whatever sounds you wanted for various subwords.
·
You can program up to 4 key words, and each has 4 sub words. Once you have trained all 20 words, you can retrain any of the sub words whenever you like, you can clear the training, and you can adjust the recognition tolerance.
·
You would need 4 buttons, and optionally 3 LEDs for training, one Stamp pin for the "serial" line on 'poll' compatible stamps, more lines for non polling stamps.
·
It works VERY fast, it will recognize the keyword the instant you have said it, before you even get to the next word. There is a very brief pause before it picks up on the sub word. If your words were Lights and Hall, it would work if you said "Turn on the lights in the hall" It works with a TV in the background, so it’s rather noise robust as well. It seems to have no problem picking words out of sentences either. It will also recognize short phrases, and in fact those would be better for fewer false positives. I don’t have too much trouble with FP, except like "bedroom" and "familyroom" it seems to place more emphasis on the last syllables, rather than the first syllable.
·
·
·
Things I can’t change:
1: You have to train the chip, so you press the button, say the word, repeat, etc. I can’t preprogram the chips or anything, but the training is stored in EEPROM, so it’s not volatile
2: You can only have a max of 4 key words, no more. You can train as few as you like. It could be reprogramed for more sub words, we'll see how many people would need that.
·
·
I’m not looking to make money off this, more open this opportunity to Stamp users, as the actualy·development on this chip·has a·HUGE learning curve, its taken me at least 2 months,·but considering chip cost, shipping to me, programming, and everything, I think it would need to be $65 + shipping to you.
·
So I’d like to hear from everyone who took the time to read this, would you or wouldn’t you be interested, and why not (unless it’s just something you couldn’t use\ don’t want)·At this point, I could make some changes\tweaks, but·I don’t think I·would be able to custom tune every single one, not for that price. But let me know what your major hangup is, or if you're really interested.
·
·Thanks for reading,
Adam

Post Edited (GICU812) : 10/29/2008 4:38:13 AM GMT

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-10-29 05:08
    You should submit this to Gadget Gangster: Nick will take care of all the supply and buisness stuff, and he'll send you a check every month based on the number of units sold.

On the things that you can't change, sub the max of 4 keywords: that seems a bit limited. I suppose you could hook up several modules and add their keyword count, but that could get expensive quickly. I'm sure that you have a good reason for a max of 4, but I'll whine: why? Hardware? Software?

Anyway, very impressive that you built something like this. Does different voice types work with the same keywords? Such as a man enters the word, and a woman tries to use it?

Anyway, take a look at gadgetgangster.com. You can potentially make some money off your project, and you'll have something well documented to show for all your hard work.
  • GICU812GICU812 Posts: 289
    edited 2008-10-29 05:49
    Well its really just a program that runs on the VRStamp hardware. But the VRS it is notoriously hard to work with, the programming is poorly documented and somewhat convoluted at times. Though I am working on an X-10 voice interface, I think by the time it all went together, the hardware alone would make it cost prohibitive.

The 4 word max is a hardware limitation. There is a way to have many more, but its a diffrent software technology, and does not offer near the performance. The modules are somewhat expensive, so it probably wouldnt be worth it to piggy-back them.

Having 4 key words isnt that much of a limitation, you can address 4 diffrent devices, or 4 diffrent commands, like

Move - Foward
    Move - Back
    Move - Up
    Move - Back
    Turn - Right
    Turn - Left
    Turn - ?
    Turn - ?
    Robot - Return to start
    Robot - Run program
    Robot - Sleep
    Robot - Wake up
    Keyword 4 - ?
    etc.

As for diffrent speakers, there is definitely software that will let you pre-program action words that will respond to any voice, but its $1000 for the low end version. So thats not an option. I havent had many other people try the module, but it does have options for biometric voice recognition, where it almost guarentees you are the only one who can activate it, I dont know how picky it is with this·program, but I can completely alter the tone or pitch of my voice and it still hits every time. I'll have some other people try it.

Post Edited (GICU812) : 10/29/2008 5:55:24 AM GMT
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2008-10-29 06:18
    GICU812 -

This last message paints a much clearer picture of how it might be applied. Consider this for a moment.

You have a large and/or expensive robot. It's operated by I/R, RF or other similar remote control. You have told it to turn right or left to avoid going into a nearby pond. The batteries on the remote DIE. Is it worth $65.00 to keep your robot from becoming a submersible? I'd say so!

I'd buy one, if I had the proper application. Did you approach Ken Gracey? More than one of the Parallax products over the years have come from those who have taken the time to learn a particular technology and applied it in a way that's suitable for robotics application. The worst he can say is no thanks!

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When all else fails, try inserting a new battery.
  • lenswerkslenswerks Posts: 40
    edited 2008-10-29 21:46
    Can a electret microphone be used?
    What other components are needed to support the chip?
    How much current does the chip draw?
    edited 2008-10-29 22:27
    I believe it is designed for use with an Electret Mic.

Running it draws 26mA @ 3v, it has a sleep function, <20uA @3v, but I dont think that would be a useful function given the application.

Attatched is a basic connection diagram, you need to supply 3.3v, 4 buttons and 3 leds, as well as a mic and speaker. It will work either with PWM directly connected to a speaker, or it sounds better with a LM386 amp circuit running off the Audio pin.

Post Edited (GICU812) : 10/29/2008 10:45:59 PM GMT
    1323 x 887 - 188K
    VRSM.JPG 187.9K
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-10-30 00:23
    so, where do we get one and how much does it cost?
    edited 2008-10-30 00:27
    Sounds interesting to me. Where are you located?

Also, why couldn't you put two chips together and each on a separate i/o line?
  • kevinb2050kevinb2050 Posts: 56
    edited 2008-10-30 00:47
    I like this - you have a BS2p24 in the schematic can it work with a BS2 or a BS2e
    whats it cost and can I get one sent to Australia
    edited 2008-10-30 02:20
    Im in the US, Ohio. I can ship anywhere I can figure out how to, Ive never shipped overseas, but I have no problem doing so.

It should be able to work on any stamp, but because they can use the pollin commands, the 2p.. series can do it with one line.

Other stamps will require 2 lines, Im still working on a 2 line interface, but I think the best way would be :
    Comm PIN 0
    ACK PIN 1

the VRS pulls COMM high,
    when the BS gets around to checking and sees it high, the BS pulls ACK high and begings listening
    When the VRS sees ACK HIGH, it drops COMM for x ms then begins transmitting data on COMM

The easiest way to transmit the data would probably be in 1ms pulses, and a COUNT command. given the longest transmit would be 16, which would take 32 ms, I dont think its really worth it to code a comm protocol. It can do plain old serial comms, but then you would need a MAX232 chip, I figured this would be easier and use fewer componets. It has worked flawlessly for me so far and is very easy to implement in the BS.

You could use as many VRS chips as you had stamp I\O pins in reality.

I'm starting at $65 + shipping to you. If anyone is interested PM me for my email. I can take paypay (+fees) or money order (actual cost). Again, I can add custom sound responses if you like, but it involves recoding the program, so there will be an extra cost.

Im working on getting a video of this working.
    edited 2008-10-30 02:50
    Well, actually, if you wanted two or more, I could come up with a program so that you could run them on the same 2 IO lines on the stamp, just identify the chips in the signalling.
    edited 2008-10-30 03:00
    this is very interesting. Now to convince the war department. I am in the great state of Tennessee.
    edited 2008-11-02 17:27
    Hmm I thought there would have been more intrest.

Im starting to play with a single level 31 word program. It would listen for 31 diffrent words or very short phrases all the time. One word would activate it.

The advantages of this program,

1: More words = up to 31 (maybe more)
    2: Faster action, single word activation

The downsides of this setup,

1: More likely to false accept. Since there is only one word, there is no protection against false positives
    2: It is pickier about noise and sounds around the action words.
    3: Its less robust against background noise

Would this be of interest to anyone? It would work well in some projects.
    edited 2008-11-02 23:18
    I had $60 saved up. But, the wife put it on bills. So, I am interested in my robot having a voice and talking and also listening and understanding. But, I guess for me, it will have to come later. But, it is an interesting concept.
    edited 2008-11-03 01:24
    Its not a short term offer, let me know when you are able.
    edited 2008-11-14 20:05
    Wow, a suprisingly dull response. I thought there would have been more people, being able to interface a voice module with a BS would mean you could essentially voice control anything you wanted.

Heres my next proposal, which unlike this offer, is more of a 'what if', rather than im ready to ship.

I take a modified version of the code im running in my house, and install the chip in this: (with supporting circuitry including an X-10 fire cracker)
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/star_trek_classic_communicator_inhand.jpg

Package it with an X10 transciever, so anyone can voice control one outlet out of the box, obviously with the X10 parts (which are relatively cheap) you could control up to 16 anythings, outlets, light switches, relay contacts, etc.

I think price on the package would be probably $150 given all the parts I would need to buy, then custom rebuild the communicator, put in a max232, since the firecracker is wireless but driven by RS232, plus batteries, brownout protection, regulator, mic, speaker, probably something else im not thinking of. All that plus the cost of an X-10 transciever, the communicator, and a VRstamp module, plus my coding time, thats actually probably a little under priced, but if someone wanted to 'fund' the project, I could build one for them and see how it went.
    edited 2008-11-14 20:05
    Wow, a suprisingly dull response. I thought there would have been more people, being able to interface a voice module with a BS would mean you could essentially voice control anything you wanted.

Heres my next proposal, which unlike this offer, is more of a 'what if', rather than im ready to ship. Voice controlled lighting\etc with a star trek communicator:

I take a modified version of the code im running in my house, and install the chip in this: (with supporting circuitry including an X-10 fire cracker)
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/star_trek_classic_communicator_inhand.jpg

Package it with an X10 transciever, so anyone can voice control one outlet out of the box, obviously with the X10 parts (which are relatively cheap) you could control up to 16 anythings, outlets, light switches, relay contacts, etc.

I think price on the package would be probably $150 given all the parts I would need to buy, then custom rebuild the communicator, put in a max232, since the firecracker is wireless but driven by RS232, plus batteries, brownout protection, regulator, mic, speaker, probably something else im not thinking of. All that plus the cost of an X-10 transciever, the communicator, and a VRstamp module, plus my coding time, thats actually probably a little under priced, but if someone wanted to 'fund' the project, I could build one for them and see how it went.

And yes, it would come preloaded with scottys voice for a number of qippy responses.
    Hmmm... I wonder if there is trademark issues with that.·Id have to look into that.

Post Edited (GICU812) : 11/14/2008 8:11:18 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-11-14 20:17
    Once upon a time, they had cars SAY "Your door is ajar", instead of just having an indicator light. It got extremely irritating.

Actually, keyboards and keypresses and IR-Remotes and RF-Remotes are all very nice, unambiguous, rarely-spoofed devices. It would be annoying to be having a conversation with someone, and have the computer get a false-positive and turn the lights off.

If you HAD one of these, and it cost $20, you'd get some response. Hypotheticals don't get much play, we've seen too much vaporware.
    edited 2008-11-14 20:44
    Well I HAVE one of these, and it costs $65. As far as the new idea, it is hypotetcial, I made that clear, that would be more of a geek gadget, though I could probably have one built in about a week.

I guarentee it wont false trigger, unless you speak the trigger phrase in conversation, it wont go on with just "lights", and if you use the one word triggering, it cant pick the words out of conversation, you have to pause before and after. Though I think you could train a phrase as the 'word', so you could say "lights on" and it would accept that as one 'word' and trigger that action. But again, you would have to pause, say lights on, then pause before you could continue talking.

I dont know, I like being able to be sitting on the couch in the dark watching tv, and say "lights on" and the lights come on so I can get up and walk around, or being able to go to bed and saying lights, all off, and every light in the house goes off. If two of the three motion sensors in the front of the house trigger within x seconds, it alerts me with front motion detected. Same, with the rear, only rear motion. Likewise I can turn on the spot lights without having to walk to the switch.

My GF likes being able to walk in the house when she gets off work in the morning and its dark and say "lights, all on", so she doesnt have to be scared of the dark. Of course I have the bedroom and spotlights exculded from that.

Ive toyed with integrating the thermostat, but that is a little inpractical, mostly because there is no immediate result, and you dont usually adjust the thermostat routinely. I can arm and disarm the alarm using the biometrics, so it will only respond to my commands, so again its nice to be in bed and be able to set the alarm to "home" without having to get up. The biometrics arent included in what im offering, but theres no reason you couldnt allow anyone to arm the alarm, and frankly, with the training recognition, the chip is pretty user specific anyway.
    edited 2008-11-15 02:48
    Actually, I think the best part, which I just now used, is when I get downstairs on the couch and finally get to sit down, and I realize I left the kitchen light on. I dont have to get up to turn it off.

Man... I sound lazy, lol.
  • awbball11awbball11 Posts: 17
    edited 2008-11-29 03:41
    I'll Take One!!!!!!! How do I get it?
  • awbball11awbball11 Posts: 17
    edited 2008-11-29 03:48
    can this work with the http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/Sound/tabid/164/CategoryID/38/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/108/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName ? Such as me saying a command and it replying with a yes Mr. Wilbanks or Will do or such as? If not could you design one or an all in one that listens to you and speaks back. thanks