Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help me put my code on a diet — Parallax Forums

Help me put my code on a diet

MikeyMustangMikeyMustang Posts: 22
edited 2008-11-04 21:44 in BASIC Stamp
I know there are better ways to write this code. I am a newbie and need some guidance on how to TRIM this code up for memory space

Thanks

Mike WA3O

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-10-27 22:34
    You seem to be toggling pins quite a bit. Take a look at the toggle command. Also, your pause statements are bit of overkill. Why not have a lookup table, and put the long blocks of code into a for loop. It would look something like this:

For i = 0 to 100
    toggle pinNumber
    LOOKUP i, [noparse][[/noparse]10,58,09, ...], pauseValue
    PAUSE pausevalue
    NEXT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-10-28 14:08
    Any time you have LOTS of "repeated code" it just cries out for subroutines.

I created a couple of subroutines -- "Dit:" and "Dah:".· Each call to the subroutine saves you about 6 bytes of storage.

I started to translate all your HIGH 14: Pause 50: LOW 14 instances to a "GOSUB DIT" -- but got tired.· Hopefully, you see the pattern.

Oh, and note that your "AUX1ON:" routine will 'fall through' to "AUX1OFF:" the way you have it now.

Oh, and note the "IF DTMF = 1 THEN CWM1" does a GOTO CWM1.· You CAN do "IF DTMF = 1 THEN GOSUB CWM1" if that's what you want.

The "DATA" statement is the beginning of an example where you 'encode' the Dit/Dah you want to send as data statements.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 10/28/2008 2:16:04 PM GMT
  • MikeyMustangMikeyMustang Posts: 22
    edited 2008-10-28 21:13
    Allen'

You must have read my mind....(short story) LOL! I started to that that exact thing at work today and for some reason it ate up more space? I also am wondering if I really need to make sure both pins are off...kinda of redundant... do gosubs take up more space?

I did a

dah: pulsout 13, 180
    dit: pulseout 14, 60
    spc1: pause 50
    spc2: pause 660

and this ate up the code when I
    gosub dit
    gosub spc1
    gosub dah
    gosub spc2

for an "a"

Thanks for the other comments I am confused what the differance between the goto and the gosub would be?

Thanks for the comments

Mike WA3O
    edited 2008-10-28 21:29
    Generally, you use subroutines when you have at least 3 or four lines of code but not more than about 20. The way that you have it, you have three times as many commands as before (a GOSUB, a FREQOUT, and a RETURN). Before you just had a FREQOUT. So you need to put more stuff into your subroutines, like maybe a for loop and lookup table.
    edited 2008-10-28 21:31
    You can look GOTO and GOSUB up in the BS Manual, but in short a GOTO command goes to a section of code, and never returns. A GOSUB command goes to that section, and keeps going until it hits a RETURN., when it then picks up execution after the GOSUB. A GOSUB command is much preferred over a GOTO.
    edited 2008-10-28 21:57
    thanks for the tips on the goto and gosubs... I trried the code without turning off both pins at the end of each cw digit and it works fine...I saved some space there

as for the AUXon and AUxoff I suppose iI have to goto main or a return so they don't "fall thru"?
    edited 2008-10-29 19:41
    Allan,

I am confused a little about the DATA comment but...

Thanks for the tip I was able to save alot of space using the GOSUB'S

Here is the finished product.

Thanks Again

Mike WA3O

Post Edited (MikeyMustang) : 10/29/2008 8:21:41 PM GMT
    edited 2008-10-29 20:29
    Aha. Well, since you've simplified your code now, it's easier to implement the "DATA" statement approach.

The following attachment has translated your "DIT", "DAH", and "Pause 660" statements into a 1, 0, or 2 DATA value.
    It uses a "-1" to indicate the end of a message.

Now, all you have to do is assign the DATA address to "MsgAddr", and call "SendMessage". This saves a LOT of space.
    I've translated your first two messages into DATA statements -- you should be able to do the rest.
    edited 2008-10-30 19:48
    Allan,

Was this a test? LOL I got it to work but for some reason the program didn't like the -1 for a stop bit I changed it to a 6 and added a
    6 at the end of each line

IF CheckByte = 6 then return

and it seems to work?????

Maybe beginners luck?
    Anyways thanks for the help and you saved me tons of memory and now I am able to pit some preset freqs in the program

Thanks
    Mike WA3O
    edited 2008-10-31 19:21
    Well done. I was a little nervous using the "-1", because I know the BS2 'compare' operators don't really 'know' about negative numbers. Glad you were able to get it to work.
    edited 2008-11-04 21:44
    Thanks Allan and guys,

I have really used up the code space on the chip now and I am pretty happy with the finished product. I guess if I really want more space I should upgrade to a better BS2 chip and suggestions? Also The dtmf decode seems to be a little slow ...I can type the dtmf in fast and the BS only decodes the first 2 digits and looses track is this a function of the chip being too slow or maybe the hardware (8880 chip)?

Thanks again for all the help...its guys like you who make this hobby happen and keeps Basic stamps rolling.

My next chip will be a BS2pe so I can do DTMF to I2c for the Si570 chip...

Mike WA3O