Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Command and control using DTMF tones — Parallax Forums

Command and control using DTMF tones

DennisDennis Posts: 4
edited 2008-10-29 19:33 in BASIC Stamp
I am looking for help writing a program in PBASIC for a Parallax, Model BS2 microprocessor. If anyone is interested I would very much appreciate the help.
After I completed the design and breadboard one of my latest electronic circuits I determined that I could significantly reduce my parts count by replacing much if my circuit with a microprocessor. Not having any programming experience I searched the web and it appeared that the Parallax microprocessor would be the easiest for me to learn to program. I purchased a Parallax, Model BS2. However I found that with no previous programming experience, even the basic manuals from Parallax were of no help other than providing me with enough knowledge to make minor modifications to the programs that Parallax provided. Additionally, I am sure that my senior citizen status does not contribute to my ability to learn programming.

The following is a description of what the circuit does and the type of program that I need:

The circuit is designed to provide command and control using DTMF tones. I want to be able to store a total of four addresses of four binary numbers each in the microprocessor. The microprocessor would have a total of four output pins (normally low) and when an address that is the same as one of the four addresses stored in memory is received from the DTMF receiver an output pin corresponding to that address would change state. The data from the DTMF receiver to the microprocessor can be either four-bit Hex or 2 of 8 output. An additional pin (a fifth pin) from the DTMF receiver to the microprocessor would be provide a strobe signal to the microprocessor to tell it that data was being sent, this pin would also be normally low and taken high to indicate that data was being sent. Once the microprocessor has received four digits it would look down to see if it matched any of the four addresses stored in memory. If it did, the corresponding output pin would momentarily (a few milliseconds) change state preferably from low to high and then back to low. At that point the microprocessor would be ready to receive a new address from the DTMF receiver. If the data from the DTMF receiver did not match the any of the four addresses stored in memory, the input data from the DTMF receiver would be discarded and the lookdown would again occur after four additional binary numbers are entered from the DTMF receiver. If there is a period of more than five seconds before all four digits are entered from the DTMF receiver, the microprocessor would reset and wait until four digits are entered from the DTMF receiver within the allotted time (five seconds).

In concept, it is much like a four digit digital lock, with four output pins corresponding to four codes stored on memory.

If any one has the time to help me I would be very, very grateful. It has become obvious to me that I will never be able to accomplish this myself or to make any beneficial use of the BS2 without help.

Thank you very much

Dennis

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-10-27 00:33
    I would start with the circuit you have and parallel it with the stamp and then work on replacing one piece of the original circuit with code in the stamp. I'm not sure the regular stamp has DTMF capability but I think the BS2px does.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-10-27 15:12
    Dennis,

You already had a thread on this at the following link. In the future please follow up on posts of the same subject in the original thread rather than starting a new thread.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=748611

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • DennisDennis Posts: 4
    edited 2008-10-27 18:26
    Chris,

I am very sorry that I did not do things properly. I had never used a “form” before I purchased the Parallax, I understand what you are telling me; that if I have a request that is related to a previous subject I should go back to the original message and amend that message rather than start a new message.

Due to my lack of knowledge, if I continue to use the “form”, I will probably make more errors in the future, thus, if I am creating a big problem for the “form” please let me know and I will search for the proper method to terminate my request and get out of the “form”.

In an attempt to obtain some help locally I attended a meeting of the LVBots a local robotics club. They were willing to help but none of the individuals at the meeting had knowledge of PBASIC.

Electronics has been my hobby since I was a kid but I am finding microprocessors, “forms” and “threads” to be very frustrating. If you know someone that would be willing to help me I would appreciate it. I think the most likely types of individuals that may be willing to help are ones still in school or individuals that are retired and thus may have some spare time.

Thanks!

Dennis
  • MikeyMustangMikeyMustang Posts: 22
    edited 2008-10-27 22:09
    Dennis,

I am a newbie but i have been playing with DTMF and the BS2 using the m8880 chip. In my project I use 1 button DTMF digits to do a feature I soon found out that I needed more than one digit. So with the help of another forum person I was able to use say a STAR before the digit to now use 2 digits to do more things....I was thinking it would be simple in programming to use this as many times as necessary (in your case 4 times) to say key a pin if the correct 4 DTMF digits are pressed.

Look at my code its pretty well documented see it it helps

Mike WA3O
  • Desy2820Desy2820 Posts: 138
    edited 2008-10-28 01:56
    Have you already worked your way through the WAM text?· (WAM=What's·a Microcontroller?)· If you haven't already, it will give you a firm foundation and understanding of the Stamp.

Link:· http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/books/edu/Wamv2_2.pdf

Here's a link to the PBASIC reference manual.· It usually installs with the Stamp IDE, but I like to have a PDF available too.· http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/stamps/web-BSM-v2.2.pdf

You may find other texts here useful, especially Process Control and Robotics with the BOE Bot.· Link:· http://www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx

Last, but not least, you can·look though the NutsNVolts articles by Jon Williams.· He's done a lot of cool projects.
    http://www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/tabid/272/Default.aspx

Post Edited (Desy2820) : 10/28/2008 2:14:40 AM GMT
  • Bob LBob L Posts: 1
    edited 2008-10-29 19:14
    It looks like you are just asking for a programmer. If so, you might try sights like elance.com, rentacoder.com, and even craigslist.com
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2008-10-29 19:33
    ·· Hi Dennis,

····Welcome to the world of Stamps.

·· I've done a bit of work with DTMF and would be willing to help you out.

·· Have you got a schematic of what you've got done so far? From your description, I think I've got the idea, but it would be useful to see how the DTMF codes are gnerated, whether the codes arrive by telephone or wireless or direct wire connection.

· If you wish, use the PM (private message) button in the namebox to send me an email.

· Cheers,

·Tom Sisk

··

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·