Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
breadboard relay question — Parallax Forums

breadboard relay question

firealarmfreakfirealarmfreak Posts: 105
edited 2010-02-02 23:18 in BASIC Stamp
hey i have a small problem,

i recently baught some relays from radioshack for my fire alarm strobes and my smoke detector. The relays fit into my soldlerless breadboard but the keep falling out. Like they are not very tight, and somtimes they short out. Obviously when this happens to the smoke relay, the smoke no longer trips my control panel im making with my boe.

Is there anything (glue etc..) i can use to securly attach those relays instead of solder? (I tried, and I cannot solder well at all, also the pins on the relay are close together).

I dont care if the relays are permantantly attached, as long as they work.

chris.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-26 15:58
    You need to learn how to solder. There are all sorts of guides to soldering on the internet. Do a Google search for "soldering".

Glue (hot glue or epoxy or silicone rubber) is fine for physically mounting things to other things, but soldering is the best way to make an electrical connection.
  • firealarmfreakfirealarmfreak Posts: 105
    edited 2008-10-26 18:03
    would it damage anything if i tried a small bit of hot glue on the breadboard holes to securly attach the relay?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-26 18:19
    Use common sense. It probably wouldn't damage the breadboard when applied, but might damage it if you need to remove it or maybe you won't be able to remove the glue. If you use too much hot glue (or any glue), it can be forced into the innards of the breadboard and might interfere with the conductors underneath the glue.

I'd probably plug the relay into the breadboard, then run a small bead of hot glue around the outside of it. The hot glue will adhere to the outside of the breadboard (and the relay) and not get forced into the contact holes where it will be difficult to impossible to remove later.
  • beazleybubbeazleybub Posts: 102
    edited 2009-04-18 18:55
    I know this is a bit late but it may help someone in the future.

When I use pc relays on a breadboard for testing purposes I just simply wrap a rubber band around the breadboard and the relay and it seems to hold just fine and I do not get any shorts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    How can there be·nothing? Nothing is something!
  • bs2-manbs2-man Posts: 23
    edited 2010-02-02 23:18
    tape it on tightly