Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Brushless motor control — Parallax Forums

Brushless motor control

clloydclloyd Posts: 31
edited 2008-11-01 21:45 in BASIC Stamp
Can the BASIC stamp by itself control a typical brushless or do I need some other component in order to control it? Also anyone know a good link on how I would control it with the microcontroller (with or without this extra component). Thanks

Comments

• T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2008-10-25 21:55
    You need a 3 phase brushless motor driver, that either includes high and low side output drive or you will need to get an additional IC to manage the 6 required mosfets. I am testing out a Motorola chip MC33035 that connects to an Intersil HIP4086 that is working nicely, you just add your 6 N mosfets to the outputs. For an example of the circuits, google the ic's mentioned, they are both available from digikey. There are existing drivers like this ready to go for under 90$, minus the power supply.

From any microcontroller, you connect either PWM or voltage for speed set, if you don't need to vary the speed, you only need to turn the motor on of off and set the direction. Outputs then are PWM/DAC, Run/Stop, Direction.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-10-27 15:35
    Are you sure you have a brushless motor? Your other thread refers to brushed motor control. In any event, some brushless DC motors already have the basic control circuitry inside and you’re merely switching a load. Muffin fans, not unlike the type used to cool computers, for example. These require only power, so to turn on on/off from a BASIC Stamp you could use a MOSFET or transistor (such as 2N2222A or 2N3904). Do you have more details on the motor?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • clloydclloyd Posts: 31
    edited 2008-10-29 15:00
    Well we are trying to determine which type of motor we are going to need for our project, but it seems like we might have to use a brushless motor, so I was trying to figure how to program for both setups.· For the brushless, in order to control the speeds with the microcontroller what type of algorithms would i use? Does PWM work? Seems really easy to control brushed but I dont seem to understand how to control the brushless, I know I need some other peripheral that was stated above but now I need to learn how to control it to control its speed with the BASIC stamp. Thanks for your help
    edited 2008-10-29 21:13
    It really depends on whether the brushless motor has a controller already or not.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2008-10-30 02:53
    So if it has another component attached does that make the motor control trivial? How hard would it be and exactly how would you control with this other component and without?
    edited 2008-10-30 15:16
    You still haven’t said if the one you have has a controller or not, so I will put this out there…DC Brushless motors, such as those used in cooling fans, which do have the controller can, to some degree be controlled by voltage or even PWM. Neither method is very efficient due to the way the motor controller works. If this is a brushless motor like those used in small R/C aircraft, these require an external controller and if you build your own you have more control over the performance of the motor over a wider range.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2008-10-30 16:22
    Thats the thing, we have not purchased a controller yet and want to know what would be the best option and how difficult it would be with this controller and without it so we know what is the best option (due to cost). So thats my question if I have a typical brushless controller, something to do with 3 phase control not too sure, how would I program the microcontroller to control it? And what would the alternative be, not buying this controller, in order to control the brushless motor? Does it involve designing an IC in order to do so? Basically what I am asking with limited time what would be a better choice, with or without this controller, and with whatever choice how do I program the motor using a STAMP board. Sorry for the lack of depth in my questions being I am new to this.
    edited 2008-10-31 16:32
    Your focus seems to be on the controller, not the motor…But normally you would get a motor, and that would depend on whether it even needed a controller, and then depending on the controller you would base your microcontroller decision.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-11-01 20:07
    clloyd

It sounds like You have a " TOP SECRET " project from the CIA./US G. And I don't want You to compromise Your mission. But a lil. more info on the app. would be helpful. like load,RPM,speed range, etc. This will not leak any info on Your mission if You word it rite.....as it can be appled to anything...........What is the Load?...What is the RPM's?... Does it need to vary?...What's the voltage?...

______________________$WMc%_______________________________Kfabeit___________
  • be80bebe80be Posts: 56
    edited 2008-11-01 21:45
    This may help you if your using a motor made like what is in a hard drive spindle http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/114385/STMICROELECTRONICS/L6232B.html
    it's a L6232b motor driver