Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cooked Protoboard — Parallax Forums

Cooked Protoboard

blittledblittled Posts: 681
edited 2008-10-26 20:00 in Propeller 1
I may have literally cooked my protoboard. I like most electronic hobbyists have cooked their fair share of components and this may be my newest addition to my "failed" museum.

Here is my tale of woe I decided to power my protoboard with both an adapter and batteries. I realize that a isolation diode should be put in series with the battery input but I didn't want to deal with the typical .7 volt drop through the diode shortening the usage of 4 AA batteries. So I put a switch in instead of a diode. You guessed it, Murphy's lay struck. I accidentally had the battery switch on and the 300 mA adapter plugged in for about 3 hours. Let's just say I didn't need a heater running that night. The batteries melted the battery holder and scorched the wood board it was mounted on. Luckily I didn't start a bonfire in my living room. So as a warning to others DO NOT directly connect a battery to a adapter input unless you want to break out the hotdogs and sing campfire songs around the bonfire that was your circuit.

I tried testing the board by downloading Prop Dos into the eeprom the next morning. Everything went ok. I then turned it on later in the day and got no response. The Prop Tool identified the propeller ok and I could download to RAM but I got a "EEPROM programming error on COM6" when trying to download to the eeprom. I tried a couple of things but nothing worked because I have seen this error before when adding some headers to the I2C bus and found out I shorted the bus. I finally decided to remove the on board eeprom since I assumed it was bad and replaced it with a dip eeprom. I did tie A1 through a 10k resistor to ground so I could add a card edge connector in the future for Hydra cards. I still get the error and I triple checked my wiring.

As luck would have it I have a second unused protoboard, every electronic hobbyist should have backup electronics. My question to the forum is what to do next. Try to see what still is wrong or mark the board as a toasted pop tart and use the second board. Thanks in advance for your advice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
What electronics need - MORE POWER!!!!!!!

Post Edited (blittled) : 10/25/2008 3:29:23 PM GMT

Comments

• SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-10-25 16:30
    Hi blittled

If You still caN LOAD ram it is hopefully not Cooked.

Try to ad 2 LEDs on I2C eeprom bus to see if you have activity on it.
    If so it is posible other things that you have problems with

Ps. I have problems with XP that caused eeprom load problems

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-10-25 19:15
    Hi blittled,

Hope you get it working again soon, cos I'm looking forward to playing mazogs [noparse];)[/noparse] lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
  • EricGarlicEricGarlic Posts: 41
    edited 2008-10-25 20:28
    Same thing happened to me, twice - but it wasn't through using two power sources. I think the state of my work station was to blame and I probably shorted some points beneath the board. Other difference was that they were both spin studio boards. I can still load programs to ram but not eeprom (even if I swapped in new eeproms). I'm also using XP. Any good tips to recovering the situation appreciated.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-10-25 21:22
    If you want to create a dual supply board, the most murphey proof way is to use a SPDT (break before make) style switch where each supply is connected to a pole and the board supply is connected to the throw. This way it's not possible to have both supplies connected at the same time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-10-26 13:22
    @ EricGarlic : No tips for recovering I'm afraid but a good tip for avoiding future disasters is some thin (~3mm) polystyrene tacked of taped to the track side of the board. I've used pizza base support packaging ( nicely dimpled which suits the solder blobs ) and mouse mat. That also gives some friction to stop the board moving or scratching desks and easily removed for mods.

For larger projects I usually build a base of chipboard and use screwed PCB stand-offs which keeps everything in place. Cut the arrow head off one side of the stand-offs to make PCB removal easier.

There's nothing worse than that spark or 'crack' sound caused by a stray off-cut of wire under a board and I also learned the hard way.
  • CannibalRoboticsCannibalRobotics Posts: 535
    edited 2008-10-26 15:03
    Been there, done that. I have a carpet top bench which holds little pieces of wire just waiting for the supply lines. The smell has always been the heartbreaker for me. I don't power anything up anymore unless it's mounted in a box or on the panavice.
    All may not be lost. As said earlier, if you can get the RAM to load something is might be alive at least a little. Have you tried to cycle the power on the PC, hub if you have one and Prop board before trying again? I have found that sometimes a power glitch will cause the XP - USB/Com port management to start acting like it's been kicked in the head real hard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Signature space for rent, only $1.
    Send cash and signature to CannibalRobotics.
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2008-10-26 18:44
    I hooked up an oscilloscope to it and found no activity on pins 28, 29. Also I just removed the electrical tape I put on the bottom of the board to protect it and hold the rat nest of wires in place and noticed the blue surface paint peeling off around those pins. The batteries were right under the pins and the heat may of burned the board or possibly a current overload caused it. Needless to say the board will be used only when I need to experiment on hardware since the ram is still functional. I have made obc's spin adaptations to the second board and got that running (minus a battery supply). I may get another protoboard in the future just in case...... But right now I'm looking into getting the Hybrid.

I am running Vista and have noticed the comm port freezes up sometimes initiating a download and I have to reboot to free up the comm port.

Baggers - Mazogs is just slightly delayed. I have the intro screen, menus, and character animation working and my next step is generating the maze. I hope to get it done around Christmas. Right now my life has been pretty busy and I don't have much time for my hobbies.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    What electronics need - MORE POWER!!!!!!!
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-10-26 20:00
    blittled, no worries, I know what you mean about life being busy lol, so no worries there, and xmas is always a great time for releases [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·