Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless PC programme control — Parallax Forums

Wireless PC programme control

erastuskerastusk Posts: 17
edited 2008-10-21 21:35 in BASIC Stamp
Hi ,
I plan to build a wireless remote that will control a programme running on a pc.So correct me if i'm wrong ..i'll use a basic stamp for the remote and a transmitter and on the pc another basic stamp chip with a reciever on it.With serial connection to the PC.Is this the correct setup?..

Thanks

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-10-21 16:32
    You COULD use an off-the-shelf IR-Remote (that can be set for the Sony protocol) and program a BS2 with 3-terminal IR-decoder to recieve Sony key-codes and then send Serial data to the PC.

Then, on the PC you'll need to write a program which reads the serial port, and converts the read "serial data" into what you want the PC to do.

Since you can get an IR-Remote for $10 to $20, you'll save some money there.
  • erastuskerastusk Posts: 17
    edited 2008-10-21 16:37
    Thanks for the info. However this school project i'm working on requires 3 control buttons: play,start and stop so i'll be required to build my own pretty much. So based on this i'd have to use another chip with a transmitter and programe it accordingly right?..I'm new to basic stamp so i'm trying to get an overall design before starting..
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-10-21 17:11
    Television remotes have many more than three buttons -- but three buttons they all do have are "Play", "Start", and "Stop".

Actually, what's different between "Play" and "Start"?
  • erastuskerastusk Posts: 17
    edited 2008-10-21 21:35
    Unfortunately i can't use a generic tv remote..i have to build mine.The client is a mentally handicapped individual, the remote needs to be very simple, they only need a start , pause and stop button.