Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
visual basic — Parallax Forums

visual basic

cplattcplatt Posts: 55
edited 2008-10-24 16:38 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to control my BS2 by a visual basic program on my computer via the serial cable. (The stamp in turn will control two MAX7219s display chips) Could anyone give a direction? Thank you (esp M. Green) if you can help.
curtis

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-10-19 21:40
    Check out this site:

www.theabramgroup.com/basicstamp/

Edit: Sorry about that. Good question, though. I look forward to the answers.

Post Edited (sylvie369) : 10/20/2008 3:01:09 PM GMT
  • cplattcplatt Posts: 55
    edited 2008-10-20 03:17
    thanks for the help...really looking to communicate to the stamp, drive output pins, etc. not communicate from the stamp.
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2008-10-20 03:21
    Hi, check out this link , several examples of sending recieving various data

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=671804

Jeff T.
    edited 2008-10-20 14:21
    Thanks Jeff, thats more like it. (I need to figure out the diff and convert from VB express to VB wink.gif ). Anyhow what goes without saying is the main reason you use a stamp with a computer is to take some of the processing power off the computer and utilize the stamp, right? Otherwise you could control whatever IC your using the stamp by hooking the IC up directly to the computer's serial port without the stamp right (???)
    curtis
    edited 2008-10-20 14:43
    Hi Curtis, I uninstalled VB6 professional in favor of VB Studio Express, to me it is more intuitive more features and more training articles, but that is entirely a matter of preference.

The idea behind the posts was to provide an interesting GUI for a Stamp, Prop, SX, Compass Module, RFID reader or any device that has serial capabilities and would benefit from a PC interface.

The articles just scratch the surface for beginners ( like me ) to get a head start, there is a lot more can be done graphically and programatically, this one turned out·nicely
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=654587

One of the best examples from my point of view was one of the last programs posted in the VB Express Template thread and its called Com_Template.zip, I like the way the data recieved event is used as a signal to the PC to transmit data, it prevents the Stamp from having to wait an excessive time before continuing it's program loop.

To answer your question , yes the serial port can be used with almost any external serial device.

Jeff T.
    edited 2008-10-20 15:04
    Thank you so much Jeff!!!!
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-10-20 15:12
    There are very few IC's you can "hook up directly to the serial port", that's why the BS2 is so popular. In fact, I think the ONLY IC you can hook up "directly" is something like a MAX-232 chip, connected to something called a "UART". Now, the BS2 does a "software UART", so it takes care of that part, and has a couple of transistors on-module to take care of the MAX-232 part.

Bottom line -- the BS2 provides that "simple interface" that you CAN hook almost any IC up to the I/O pins, and the 'other' end to your serial port.
    edited 2008-10-20 18:04
    I said...
    To answer your question , yes the serial port can be used with almost any external serial device.
    Hi Curtis, after reading allanlane5's post I realize what I said can be misleading, the PC serial port is RS323 which has voltage levels of +/- 12 v, most circuits will require a level shifter such as the max 232 that allanlane5 mentioned that will shift the level from +/- 12 v to TTL level 5v , something to give careful thought to.

Jeff T
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-10-23 14:51
    Duplicate thread removed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-10-24 02:02
    cplatt
    Could You PostRelpy what You ended up w/ ..I mean as far as the programs You got to work w/ the BS2 ??? I Didn't follow the post through from the begaining And I think I missed something Along the way. Thanks

________________$WMc%_______________________
    edited 2008-10-24 13:48
    Got lots of help but did not end up with anything I could really use. I need some VB6 program snippets, there are .net, c+, VBexpress but unfortunately not any VB6 help.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-10-24 14:40
    VB Express is a free download from the Microsoft Website. Then you'll have the development software to match the examples.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2008-10-24 16:17
    Hi Curtis et al, I would have to agree with the above especially if your knowledge of Visual Basic is very limited. The Express editions of Visual Basic are free but that does not mean you lose anything at the beginners level, in fact there are enough features, better features,·to keep you going for a very long time.

With Visual Studio you have the benefit of thousands of online tutorials , videos and communities which makes for a very short learning curve. VB6 to Visual Studio is like going from Windows 2000 to Vista, intitially most people are reluctant to change but in the end we have to.

If you can bite the bullet and at least try Visual Studio Express edition you will be up and running with your BS2 in next to no time.

Jeff T.
    edited 2008-10-24 16:38
    Thank you for all the wonderful support guys, going to get the express!!!!
    curtis