Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Do I need another BS2 beside? — Parallax Forums

Do I need another BS2 beside?

MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
edited 2008-10-20 14:45 in BASIC Stamp
With only 3 input pins and no more then·2 Words and 3 Bytes of RAM left my Stamp is almost overloaded.
Still I need a time keeping device like the DS 1302. And more sensors too, to my weather station project.

Is there any way to adjust the time on the 1302 through the serial port using DEBUGIN or something, instead of adding lots of extra code to the program, and several pushbuttons to the BS2?

Will an additional BS2 beside be the best solution in this case, connected to its own LCD and pushbuttons for time adjustments and to handle things the weather station have to do at specific times?
(Like·saving the number of precipitation at 7 am each day and things like that)

Kjell Romma

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-10-19 22:00
    Are you planning to make this a standalone device that does not connect to a PC or the network?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-10-19 23:19
    The easiest way would probably be to have one BS2 be a "slave" device, collecting data, while the other BS2 fills in with other IOs, and makes the command decisions.
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2008-10-20 07:38
    Franklin.. yes, this is so far a standalone project, only connected to pc when changing software. But I plan to·make a connection to a network someday.. to be able to·store the data and·display them on the screen. But so far the data transmits to an inside kitchen device that display them on a 4x20 LCD, in realtime, nothing is stored.

SRLM.. today the weather st. BS2 is placed in the garage, collecting wind speed, wind direction, temperature and will soon be connected to the rain gauge. It also watch the daylight and turn on a LED cluster that illuminate the anemometer at night. (Turn the white painted anemometer into red, an awesome effect) The BS2 also transmits the data to the inside device through the 433MHz transmitter, once every second. Now this garage BS2 is almost full but still I need it to do more.

I would like it to store the amont of precipitation in a day, at a specific time, also do the same with temperature and humidity. I have been spending much time figuring out WHO should do that job, the collector BS2 in the garage or the kitchen-LCD BS2. I only speek of storing the last day of data, let's say the rain gauge resets at 7 am and I wake up one hour later and can watch·the precipitation last·day until that time and·also·how much rain so far·since the gauge·counter was reset.

I think.. another BS2 with a DS1302 time keeping device beside the garage BS2 would probably be the best, like you (SRLM) said, I can also use the extra RAM·in the 1302 because they·dont necessary disappear during power loss. But·what would be the best, one BS2 to do all collections and·the other to take care of calculations, storing and transmitting?

Ideas will be appreciated!

I have a weather project web page, its not compleated yet, also still in Norwegian·but·there are some pictures there, more to come. ·http://home.online.no/~ol-roemm/index.htm

KjellO

Post Edited (Moskog) : 10/20/2008 7:46:48 AM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-10-20 14:45
    Well, you'll probably need to give some of your sensors to the master device since you've run out of IOs on the one that you have, but it should be fairly easy to split the two- just figure out how you want them to communicate, split the code, and hook them up.