Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hardware Communication Failure and Windows Vista — Parallax Forums

Hardware Communication Failure and Windows Vista

DanWilkinsDanWilkins Posts: 1
edited 2010-11-14 05:47 in BASIC Stamp
I upgraded to Windows VIsta and have had difficulties getting things working again.· I am using a USB to serial adapter and a BOE BS2.

I can receive messages from my BS2 in a separate debug window but cannot upload any new software.· I get the message "Hardware Communication Failure! Check serial cable and power supply"

What setting am I missing?

Thanks

·

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-10-18 23:02
    Start by reinstalling the USB drivers from the parallax site and make sure the port settings are correct. You might end up having to remove the virtual serial ports from the device manager and let vista find them again. If you do this check the box to show hidden devices and remove all there too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • fahadfahad Posts: 14
    edited 2010-11-13 09:18
    I am also getting this message of Hardware failure check cable or power supply. I havent upgraded my windows and the cable was working fine till yesterday.I have also tried reinstalling the FTDI usb driver and changing the power supply..nothing helps..what should i do?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-11-13 09:20
    fahad,
    Follow Franklin's advice and also check your power supply. The Stamp must be properly powered for it to be detected by the Stamp Editor.
    edited 2010-11-13 09:34
    Hi Mike
    The editor is showing the status of the basic stamp on identity. with device type and version and loop and echo all ok. I am suppling 9V supply but I am still getting the error. As for the instructions by Franklin can you please tell me step by step how to follow then because I am not good at computers.
    Thanks
    Fahad
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2010-11-13 09:36
    You might check to see if the STAMP gets hot. If it does, it could mean a short... Don't give up, it is probably something really obvious.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-11-13 09:40
    Follow the directions here (including the troubleshooting link near the bottom of the page). I can't give you more information as I don't use Windows Vista.
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2010-11-13 10:09
    Hi
    Had this problem in Vista with a Pic programer. Had to set it to run as administrator in advanced properties of your program.
    edited 2010-11-14 05:47
    sorry for the late reply but i am not using vista and am using windows 7. I have tried everyting but I keep on getting the same error.