Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to damage a BS2 chip — Parallax Forums

How to damage a BS2 chip

peteppetep Posts: 5
edited 2008-10-18 05:23 in BASIC Stamp
So recently, I damaged·a BS2 chip on a boe bot so it no longer functions.

Being a newbie to robotics, I'm curious how I might have done this.

My question is, what are the most common ways to damage a BS2 chip? That is, without physically dropping it, or smashing it. And using Parallax kit parts.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-17 18:57
    The easiest way to destroy a BS2 is to connect its +5V power supply backwards. That's hard to do on a BOE because the Stamp uses its own regulator when on a BOE and that regulator has some protection against reverse connection. The other main way to damage a Stamp is to connect one or more I/O pins to a source of power with a voltage greater than 5V or less than zero. This will likely damage that particular I/O pin and may or may not damage the entire chip depending on the voltage and current involved. You can also damage an I/O pin by drawing more than 20-25mA from it and you can damage the power supply wiring on the chip by drawing more than about 100-150mA total (like using several LEDs at once, each drawing 20mA which is ok , but using say 8 of them at the same time).
  • peteppetep Posts: 5
    edited 2008-10-18 01:33
    So if I was running on 4 AA's and I made a circuit on the breadboard that short circuited from Vdd to Vss.
    I probably would only drain my batteries.

Now if I hooked up an I/O pin to ground and gave it a high signal I would cook the BS2.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-10-18 04:09
    ·Hello petep

····· Man do I know the feeling,Its been a long time But I still remember it well. Back in the day, It was "snap-crackel-POP" and then all the factory smoke was let out.....Next comes a lump in the throat and then a loss of some $$...."I'll never do that again"....Back to the subject---- I make it A common practi. to use a "220 ohm" resister in ser. w/ an I/O pin. The Stamp has some buildt in protection. I also never use the stamp to source current other than maybe a few leds.

···· If You look in the Basic Stamp Manule You'll find the info and spec.s, for All the BS stamps.Its a free down load,Or you can order a full Ver.s in Print. in the Parallax Store.

···· Its A hard lesson ,But it comes a time to learn what not to do in order to get back to "What Will I Come up w/ next"

····················· ______________$WMc%_____________out_________
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-18 05:23
    If you hooked an I/O pin to ground and executed a HIGH statement, it would probably burn out that I/O pin. It may or may not damage the rest of the chip.