Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Price of the basic stamp 1 project board!!! — Parallax Forums

Price of the basic stamp 1 project board!!!

Taylor1672Taylor1672 Posts: 8
edited 2008-10-19 19:55 in BASIC Stamp
freaked.gif·The price of the basic stamp·1 project board has gone up $10 on the website!!!!nono.gif
i was going to use it a project but, unless they lower the price i am going to order it from mouser (their price hasn't changedsmile.gif )
i think it was the webmasters mistake at the keyboard does anybody have a sure answer????
if so post it!!

·

Comments

• Taylor1672Taylor1672 Posts: 8
    edited 2008-10-16 01:03
    sorry about grammer
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2008-10-16 02:56
    I'm sure that the price is accurate.· The Propeller Protoboards had an increase recently, too.

I'd recommend·springing for a·BS2, like a BoE or better·a Homework Board.· BS1 just isn't where most everybody is at.· Some are into it, but most all the inquiries and examples are BS2.

Hopefully there'll be lots of dissent!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-10-16 03:08
    Okay, okay, everybody calm down and I'll tell you what's up.

Competitors start reading here for bad advice.

As you know, we used to offer them at $14.99 each. At the time we were manufacturing them at our China factory for around $8.00. That's a whopping $7 profit each! However, the quantity decreased slightly (the BS1 was released in 1992) so our volume was too low for China manufacturing. We brought the product back state-side, and our manufacturing costs increased to about $16 each. So we raised the price a bit so we wouldn't loose any money. If you complain that we're now making $9, whereas we used to make $7, you need to know that we were also loosing money on each sale at the old price from each distributor purchase. And, our average selling price was calcuated based on our distributor/direct customer mix, which meant our gross profit per board was more like $4. So we give distributors a measly discount now so we can stay in the black.

And those are just our manufacturing costs. Do you know about fixed costs of administering a product through production? We buy parts, hold inventory, plan, etc. It all takes staff time.

We are not a charity organization. Nor are we entirely profit driven. But this just didn't make sense.
    It's a wonder this product is available. But we have a few customers that seem to depend on this board so we keep making them.·And I hate to admit it, but I think that our logical side will cause this board to be discontinued at some point.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 10/16/2008 3:15:13 AM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-10-16 04:09
    Well, as long as you continue basic modules, then the more advanced boards can come and go without too much concern. The way I see it is that I learned to program the BS2, not the Board of Education. If you disconinue the BOE tomarrow, then I'll be disappointed (I like the design), but not crushed. I can do all the same things with just the module and a little bit of creativity.

In summary, as long as the core products are their, peripherals are free to come and go. My two cents.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-10-16 05:51
    I can say from my own experience that Parallax is working with very slim margins here. For low- to moderate-volume products, a more typical markup for MSRP is manufacturing cost x 5. This permits sales to dealers at cost x 3, allowing those dealers a 40% markup to reach MSRP. The 3x and 5x markups help to cover overhead costs, such as marketing, sales, educational programs, and tech support, along with warehousing costs, utilities, commercial debt service, and spa treatments. Also, to build a minimum 1000 units at $16 per requires a cash outlay of $16,000, just to get started. Even at 3x cost, you've got to sell 333 units before you even begin to see a return on your investment. In Parallax's case, at a measly 1.6x markup, they have to sell 640 units before they can start counting their chickens. Meanwhile, that cash is tied up and unavailable for other uses. As a result, I'm sure they've had to forego the spa treatments which, after juggling such slim margins for the customers' benefit, they surely deserve.

So, dissent?!! Under the circumstances, methinks that would be unseemly. Just be thankful that Parallax has been able to keep this product available at all, not to mention at a very reasonable price.

-Phil
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2008-10-16 09:22
    I can confirm that the price of nearly everything here in china has gone up, manufacturing included. Given the fact that the Basic Stamp 1 Project Board is one of the best designed boards for the budget minded hobbyist, even at $25, it's still a low priced bargain.

It's also the first BS1 board that puts it all together in a very low current draw package - battery connector, power pack jack, power switch, port connectors, inline resistors to ports, BS1 surface mount technology, power regulator, power LED and a solderless breadboard. Imagine - it's a full microcontroller and board that draws only 7 milliamps when running programs. It's a marvel of engineering!

I know hobbyists, experimenters, student projects, educators and science fairs all benefit from this small footprint gem. It definitely needs more advertising and to be put in the spotlight and with that, the numbers will start looking better so more quantity can go through. It rightfully has its place in the array of available Basic Stamp products. It may not be a high end ticket product, but it certainly fits as one of the most useful and outstanding products from this viewpoint.

As far as I know, it's the product that Parallax company was founded on. There are companies that offer many nostalgic and retro products for a reason. Even car designs have gone retro and become some of the most popular and best selling products. The fundamental designs are solid and have something to offer. There are times in this extremely complicated and technologically advanced world when simple is better.

humanoido
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2008-10-16 12:19
    The dissent I·was·"provoking" was to my promotion of the BS2.
    [noparse][[/noparse]How could anybody not get that?]
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-10-16 15:58
    Hey PJ Allen,

Sorry for throwing you under the bus. Normally I nderstand everything you write, but this time my internal business character was overriding anything left of my technical reasoning. I spend lots of time in the trenches with pricing, costs and manufacturing. I hope to get back to more hobby projects pretty soon so I should quiet down a bit on the business aspects.

Over and out,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-10-16 16:49
    PJ,

I'm afraid I read your "dissent" comment as rabble-rousing for a return to the lower price. [noparse][[/noparse]How could you not get that? smile.gif ] Without diminishing my other assertions regarding the realities of pricing, I'm sorry if I seemed to be picking on you in particular!

-Phil
  • Taylor1672Taylor1672 Posts: 8
    edited 2008-10-18 01:42
    I email the sales guy at parallax and he said that they are moveing the production of this product from China to the US. So the production cost went to $16 dollars each! Now i know why so many things say: Made on Chinaeyes.gif
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2008-10-18 05:17
    Manufacturing coming back to North America is a good thing. Aside from the present economic situation, there are thousands of manufacturing jobs being lost here, due to the move to countries with cheap labor. If you have to pay a few bucks more for something being made here, think of it as supporting your family. Because in the long run, that is what you are actually doing.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2008-10-18 17:23
    The BS1 Project Board was $39 when it was introduced in the 2004 catalog. Today's new price of $25 is still 36% less than that.
    The BS1-IC is currently priced at $29. The BS1-Rev Dx is $29.99.

The Project Board is still a great value. It's their cheapest module and includes a power connector, switch, rubber feet, power-on LED, protoboard & jumper wires AND the serial connector AND interface adapter. It was definitely underpriced at $15, so I'm thankful for the years they held it at that price.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • NR1XNR1X Posts: 111
    edited 2008-10-18 23:48
    kelvin james said...
    If you have to pay a few bucks more for something being made here, think of it as supporting your family. Because in the long run, that is what you are actually doing.
    AINT DAT DA TRUTH!! keep the jobs here... spend your money here... this is what drives our economy, not the rich guys who have more money than god...
    think about it, if you spend your money on us goods than the us worker that produced those goods made money to spend on some other us goods and on and on and on.. eventually the money you spend comes back to you...
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2008-10-19 19:55
    Erco, it's also a really cute board, has a lot of the features of the HomeWork board like the port protection resistors, and it has edge holes for mounting via spacers. The board labeling on the top side is very legible and highly useful. Labels include useable ports, power connections, ground, on/off at the slide switch and on at the LED position. It also has a dual option of using the solderless breadboard or dedicating the circuit to solder. Plus, the green boards I've seen are of the highest quality. AND did you see that battery eliminator jack and how they solved the problem of avoiding plugging in the battery at the same time as the eliminator? It's incredible simplicity, the battery simply blocks the front of the jack. I'd say that the guy who designed this board really knew what he was doing. In this day and age, it's refreshing to see this.