Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is it ok to solder a 40-pin DIP directly — Parallax Forums

Is it ok to solder a 40-pin DIP directly

Computer Geek 101Computer Geek 101 Posts: 179
edited 2008-10-15 17:57 in Propeller 1
Most of the time I use sockets, but I have something I'm going to make alot of and I need to keep costs down.· Is there any issue with soldering a 40-pin dip propeller directly to a pcb?

·

Comments

• Luis DigitalLuis Digital Posts: 371
    edited 2008-10-15 17:27
    No problem.

The protoboard and other they work thus. Where there are problems is in microcontroladores that need programming in parallel in case to need re-programming, but the Propeller uses an serial port.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-15 17:28
    It's really not any different from soldering the surface mount Propeller to a PCB.· Occasionally things happen and a Propeller gets damaged.· If you use a socketed device, it's very easy to replace.· If it's not socketed, it's a real pain to replace.· It all depends on the relative cost of throwing out an occasional PCB vs. the guaranteed cost of a socket.· It also depends on the probability of damaging a processor chip.· With a stable design in a low electrical noise environment, this is pretty low.· In a noisy electrical environment without adequate noise suppression and protection, this may be pretty high and might cause one to redesign with better noise protection.
  • Computer Geek 101Computer Geek 101 Posts: 179
    edited 2008-10-15 17:42
    Thanks for the replies. I feel safe that once its built it will be fine I just wondered if they were different from the surface mount when it comes to heat. I'm fairly fast at soldering, but I wanted to be sure before I do it. I have props in the machine shop where I work without any problems from noise. This is going to be a game of sorts, so it should be safe.
  • Joel RosenzweigJoel Rosenzweig Posts: 52
    edited 2008-10-15 17:57
    I have soldered a couple hundred Prop dip's by hand and have not damaged a single one.· I use a Metcal soldering station with a fine 600 degree tip.· I expect you will have no problems at all with most any equipment you choose to use.· The Prop has proven to be robust.

Joel-
    ·