Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RE: Runtime Memory Limit Error — Parallax Forums

RE: Runtime Memory Limit Error

schwiegjcschwiegjc Posts: 41
edited 2008-10-17 13:58 in Propeller 1
I have a program says that Stack/Free has 6175 Longs left. When I add a line of code to the main
·gr.text(10,10,string("READING")),
I get a popup messsage saying" Object Exceeds Runtime Memory Limit by 4 longs".·Are there any limitations other than the 32K RAM limit?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-15 04:25
    Yes. The program may store data in the Stack/Free space. The stack itself needs some space. There are directives (_stack= or _free=) to warn the compiler that the program needs a specific minimum of stack space or other free space at the high end of memory. You didn't say what display object you're using, but most of the graphics drivers allocate their bitmap buffers at the high end of memory. Not all of them warn the compiler that they're doing this.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-10-15 06:08
    I think you may have come across a bug in PropTool 1.1. Try PropTool 1.2

As a quick test add
    DAT
    org 0
    long 0[noparse][[/noparse]1000]
    to the end of your program. If this works, then download the later version of the PropTool.
  • schwiegjcschwiegjc Posts: 41
    edited 2008-10-15 19:30
    I will try the latest version. Thank you.
  • schwiegjcschwiegjc Posts: 41
    edited 2008-10-16 15:29
    I tried Version 1.2 with the same results. My programs uses the following objects (TV.spin, Graphics.spin) and custom object. When I removed my PUB functions (I also tried switching PUB to PRI) in Main program into the custom object, the problem went away. Is there a size limitation on the main program?
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-10-17 13:58
    I seem to remember that DAT allocations don't get counted. so, the tool underestimates the total size.

And some of the graphics objects tend to rely heavily on DAT allocations...

What you do next depends on what you are trying to achieve. There are minimized versions of various objects that were created when the authors ran into this problem...

If this is not a commercial project, just post it and you will get all kinds of help...