Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Artwork for the Propeller — Parallax Forums

Artwork for the Propeller

Brian218Brian218 Posts: 92
edited 2008-10-14 02:37 in Propeller 1
Does anyone have any PCB artwork for the 40 pin dip Propeller?

I've tried several searches on the propeller forum, and am unable to find anything.
Ideally, I'm looking for a compact, basic layout.

Thanks in advance
B-

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
This post is a work of art. Variations in spelling and grammar are intentional, artistic endeavors that add value to all of mankind.

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-10-12 14:59
    For which PCB software ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
  • Brian218Brian218 Posts: 92
    edited 2008-10-12 15:12
    I'm not using any software yet; I'm hoping to find a generic graphic file (.BMP, .PDF, .JPG) that I can print out with my printer.

I'm also open to recommendations on PCB layout software; on my to do list for today, is to look into some of the different programs such as Eagle.

Thanks,
    B-

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This post is a work of art. Variations in spelling and grammar are intentional, artistic endeavors that add value to all of mankind.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-10-12 15:12
    I can send you the artwork for this design of mine:

Prop.gif

The board is easily made at home.

Here is the schematic:

www.leonheller.com/Designs/Propeller.pdf

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle

Post Edited (Leon) : 10/12/2008 3:21:56 PM GMT
  • Brian218Brian218 Posts: 92
    edited 2008-10-12 15:18
    Leon,

That would be great!
    You can send it to:
    scope_it_pro@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Looks like a nice design.
    B-

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-10-12 15:49
    File sent. If the tracks are too narrow for you, I can increase the width easily.

An earlier version of the board is here, with some pics:

www.leonheller.com/Propeller

I'll be updating that page with the latest files.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Leon) : 10/12/2008 4:01:53 PM GMT
  • Jay KickliterJay Kickliter Posts: 446
    edited 2008-10-12 16:13
    Leon, what software do you use? I've been have a hard time learing to use Eagle cad, but that seems to be the standard in the DIY world. I just seems like all the PCB software I've seen hasn't left 90's.
    edited 2008-10-12 16:20
    I use Pulsonix:

www.pulsonix.com

It's a full professional package and fairly expensive, starting at about $3,000. I have all the bells and whistles, costing about $15,000. I get it free in return for beta testing and consultancy.

The same company also has Easy-PC which is mainly intended for the hobbyist and educational markets:

www.numberone.com

I used Easy-PC for over 20 years.

Both packages are very intuitive and easy to use.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Leon) : 10/12/2008 4:27:00 PM GMT
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2008-10-12 16:47
    I personally use TinyCAD for schematic capture and FreePCB for layout. TinyCAD has it's wrinkles and warts, but it works as well as any other free schematic capture program I've used. FreePCB is an EXCELLENT manual PCB layout program.

An old thread a while back discussed making a prop layout on one layer. I posted a few layouts that would work. These pictures are straight from FreePCB. If you want a picture of what the final artwork looks like you'll have to wait till Monday 'cause this is all at work.

Marty

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Lunch cures all problems! have you had lunch?
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-10-12 17:04
    Jay,

I've used eagle for all of my designs, stick with it, it's gets easier with time.

Like most of the cheaper pcb cad applications the autorouter isn't brilliant but I don't use it anyway.

They've released Version 5 now and it looks like they have brought it more up to date, may be worth another look....

Regards,

Coley

@Leon, wow, $15K, I bet you are glad you didn't have to pay for it, they must value your opinion if they are willing to give you that much for it..... turn.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PropGFX Forums - The home of the Hybrid Development System and PropGFX Lite
    edited 2008-10-12 17:22
    I would buy it with my own money, it's that good. I wouldn't need all the extras, like chip-on-board. though, which would bring the price down a lot.

I've got an engineering psychology background and used to do a lot of work on man-machine interface design, which comes in useful when advising them. Many of the features that make it so slick were my idea.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Leon) : 10/12/2008 5:31:05 PM GMT
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-10-12 20:52
    I've used ExpressPCB (www.expresspcb.com) for a few projects. The software is free and easy to learn, but it uses a proprietary format and only allows you to order boards from ExpressPCB (reasonably priced). Ordering boards is a piece of cake for the beginner. The software tells you if there's something wrong with your design that would prevent manufacturing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.· My wish has come true.· I no longer know how to use my telephone."

- Bjarne Stroustrup
  • johnfl68johnfl68 Posts: 72
    edited 2008-10-12 22:50
    If you are getting boards from a board house, Advanced Circuits has free (somewhat) software.

Their PCB Artist software can be downloaded here:

http://www.4pcb.com/index.php?load=content&page_id=46

It has does both schematics and pcb layout in the same package.

It is semi-proprietary, in that you cannot get the gerber files until you place a order with them for that board.

They have a $33 each board special (4 minimum, plus get one free - 5 day turnaround) - these are full 2 layer boards with 1oz copper, silkscreens, etc. 60 square inch max size. A great deal for small runs.

They also have a "bare-bones" service, with lower prices on small quantities, for boards with no mask, silkscreen, etc., just copper.

The have good prices on larger runs, and also have other specials from time to time.

The also can do multi-layer boards (for your more advanced layouts).

These boards are made in the US, in Colorado.

John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    President Dale: I want the people to know that they still have 2 out of 3 branches of the government working for them, and that ain't bad.
    Mars Attacks! (1996)
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-10-13 01:32
    I might also add that the Advanced Circuits $33 special can be extended to multipiece/multidesign panels for an additional $50 lot charge. The panel size is still limited to 60 square inches and you have to cut out the individual boards yourself. But it's a great deal if you can do that and your boards are small enough. Anyone who's tried to get a multiboard panel past the "panelization police" at other proto PCB houses will definitely appreciate this feature!

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2008-10-13 22:51
    Because I felt like it I went back and tweaked my one-layer prop layout a bit. It now has a pull-up on the reset line, and hides one of the decoupling capacitors under 40-dip socket for the Prop.
    I designed it to fit a Digikey# 3M5471-ND socket, but any open-frame socket with three cross bars should work... The crystal holes are sized for solder-in pin sockets. A2 is the power input. Also, the 5v and 3.3v regulators are expected to have the ground pin in the center. (not all do, be sure to check!)

Top_copper.png is a 600dpi black and white image of the top copper layer suitable for toner transfer printing.

Marty

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Lunch cures all problems! have you had lunch?
    333 x 788 - 23K
    829 x 1961 - 204K
  • grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
    edited 2008-10-14 02:37
    Well I use Multisims from national.

I can get you pointed in the right direction to getting a copy. It has schematic with simulation along with PCB with 3d views. It is expensive but you can call and get different versions less expensive.