Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any Approx. ETA on Prop 2? — Parallax Forums

Any Approx. ETA on Prop 2?

DeskguyDeskguy Posts: 32
edited 2008-10-12 15:35 in Propeller 1
Hi folks,

I don't have a Propeller chip yet (using BS2 and BS2pe right now). I keep reading about the potential new features in the Prop 2. Is there any expected ETA on the Prop 2? if it is somewhat "soon", then I might as well wait. If it is way off in the future, then I guess I will get going with the Prop 1.

BTW, even though I have read through the basic specs of the Prop, can someone please just verify for me the amount of space for variables and program space.

Normally I program for the web using .NET on our own server, so trying to squeeze into 26 bytes for variables on the Basic Stamp has been an interesting learning experience. Also, for one of my programs on the BS2pe, I'm not finished yet and probably already have 3 or 4 slots full. No doubt, I can do more tweaking and condense the code, but am hoping to have lots of more space on the Prop - I assume that is true?

Thanks for your help.

David

Comments

• tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-10-12 00:11
    There is no ETA for the Propeller 2. Please read the Propeller Manual for information about the specs of the current Propeller. The prop uses a different 'design' than the Basic Stamp, and variable and code are combined into one memory space.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
    tongue.gif
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-12 00:41
    To reiterate what's clearly described in the Propeller Manual, each cog has 2K bytes of memory used for code and data. Most of the time, these cogs are loaded with the interpreter for Spin although cogs can also have programs for things like generating video or providing a full duplex high speed serial port or a controller for up to 32 servos. The main memory is 32K bytes (plus 32K of ROM) where the Spin programs and data reside along with any I/O programs written in assembly (like the video driver or serial driver) and copied from the main memory to a cog's memory for execution. The Spin interpreter and downloader reside in ROM along with a display font and trig lookup tables.
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2008-10-12 06:05
    There are also a few objects in the object exchange for data storage (not that I really know how to use them).

The prop 2 will be 'ready when it's ready', I'd bet another 6-12 months or so. A nice thing about, though, is that seems that your propeller 1 skills will largely transfer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums RSS Feeds: Prop, Basic Stamp, SX, Stamps In Class, Javelin, Robotics, Hydra
    Gadget Gangster - Share your Electronic Projects - Now Accepting Project Submissions!
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,545
    edited 2008-10-12 06:28
    It won't be soon, that's for sure. 1-2 years is my guess. But if the design goes pear-shaped the PropII could be scrapped altogether.
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2008-10-12 06:57
    Don't wait for the Prop II it could take quite a while. Till then you have plenty of time to get acquainted with the Prop architecture with the Prop I which is a lot of fun and will not be wasted effort.

Also you may find that the Prop I is a always a superior chip in some applications for it's lower power consumption, lower price, DIP package. It's not always about speed and memory size.

Besides, where will Parallax get the money to finish developing the Prop II if we don't all buy Prop Is now because we are busy waiting ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-10-12 12:05
    While the Prop II will on the whole be the same as the Prop I there are some enhancements which are coming ( particularly in the PASM, Assembly language, instruction set but also in Spin too ). You will be much better positioned to take advantage of the enhancements with Prop I experience under your belt. As heater says, it will not be wasted effort getting into the Prop I.

In comparison to the Basic Stamps, you will find you have a lot more to play with; 32KB of code, data and variables plus the ability to run eight completely independent but interacting programs with no loss of speed for any, more I/O and the ability to do a lot more things and a lot faster. Spin can look daunting at first but I, and I believe almost all others, find it is quite easy to get to grips with once you start to use it.
  • Brian218Brian218 Posts: 92
    edited 2008-10-12 15:04
    Hi Deskguy,

If you think you'll like the Prop 11, my advice would be start with the Prop 1. As has been noted, it will be at least a year or more before the Prop 11 is released, and I think you'll find the Prop 1 a fun, yet powerful MCU that can probably handle any application you have. Also, it will take time to learn Spin and/or Prop assy. For myself, I found it took the better part of a year to become fairly proficient with Spin. I don't think you'll regret choosing the Prop 1.

B-

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This post is a work of art. Variations in spelling and grammar are intentional, artistic endeavors that add value to all of mankind.
  • DeskguyDeskguy Posts: 32
    edited 2008-10-12 15:35
    Thanks to all for their responses.

It does sound reasonable that it will be quite some time before the Prop 2 comes along, so I'll bite the bullet and get the Prop 1. Just have to do some head-scratching as to which type of board(s) to get for a few projects that I want to work on.

Also thanks for clarifying the memory space issue. I had read that part of the specs, but wanted to double check. After ordering a BS2pe Mobo and related parts, I then fully grasped the issue of the 26 bytes of variable space, much to my horror. After lots of playing around with my program, I was able to get it to work by giving the scratchpad ram quite a workout. I just wanted to make sure I was correctly understanding how the Prop worked. Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,

David