Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
interfacing a RC receiver. — Parallax Forums

interfacing a RC receiver.

agfaagfa Posts: 295
edited 2010-10-14 09:13 in BASIC Stamp
is there a recomended method to interface a RC receiver to the BS2?· currently i have the servo output·to the I/O via a 1k resistor, this method works but i occasionally get an input value (pulsin) out of its normal range.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-11 15:21
    You're using the recommended method. The resistor can be anything from about 220 Ohms to over 1K and is there only to protect the BS2 I/O pin from programming errors where the I/O pin is accidentally made an output opposite in state to the RC receiver's output. The RC receiver might actually be putting out pulses out of range. A real servo would ignore them. It might also be noise although the resistor should help suppress that. If you're not already doing it, you could use a twisted pair wire between the receiver and Stamp with the other wire connected to ground at one end.
  • agfaagfa Posts: 295
    edited 2008-10-11 15:58
    thanks Mike.· i'll try the twisted pair.
  • RonPRonP Posts: 384
    edited 2010-10-14 08:55
    Hello all,

Quick question I am in the middle of a project that requires and RC receiver connected to a BS2. I have been searching for info. I have successfully read the pulses. My question, the last sentence of this post talks about a twisted pair between the receiver and the stamp is that done to reduce noise or protect the circuit should the stamp pin turn into an output or both. First time I have seen this example. And for clarification signal pin on RX would have two wires connected one of them going to the stamp pin the other to a common ground? Would I still use the series resistor?
    Mike Green wrote: »
    You're using the recommended method. The resistor can be anything from about 220 Ohms to over 1K and is there only to protect the BS2 I/O pin from programming errors where the I/O pin is accidentally made an output opposite in state to the RC receiver's output. The RC receiver might actually be putting out pulses out of range. A real servo would ignore them. It might also be noise although the resistor should help suppress that. If you're not already doing it, you could use a twisted pair wire between the receiver and Stamp with the other wire connected to ground at one end.

Thanks

Ron
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-10-14 09:08
    The use of a twisted pair of wires is just for protection from externally induced noise. You still need the series resistor to protect the Stamp I/O pin in case it's accidentally set to output mode. The ground wire of the twisted pair is connected at one end or the other to a common ground. You could connect it to Vss on the Stamp end or to the ground on the R/C receiver end.
  • RonPRonP Posts: 384
    edited 2010-10-14 09:13
    Understood.

Thanks for the quick reply Mike G.

Ron