Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HomeWork Board Battery Life — Parallax Forums

HomeWork Board Battery Life

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2008-10-14 12:38 in BASIC Stamp
How long, approximately, will a Basic Stamp 2 HomeWork board last on a single 9-volt Carbon-Zinc battery, if the HomeWork board draws about 14.5 ma? How about 9 ma?

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2008-10-10 20:17
    Ordinary 9V "transistor batteries", 100mA/h.· That's 100mA for an hour, 10mA for 10 hours.

Come on, dissenters.
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2008-10-10 20:26
    i wouldnt know i take a power supply from an old apple computer and hook the ground to the Vss and the orange wire (+5 vdc)
    and hook it to the Vdd so i never run out of battery life

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I`m not prejudice I hate everyone equally
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2008-10-12 06:55
    It's amazing you could even find a rating somewhere for regular 9-volt transistor radio batteries that are carbon-zinc composition. I didn't find any ratings on a couple web searches. But I did come across some interesting tests that indicated different battery performances based on different loading. For example, a battery drained at a rate of 100ma will have a different longevity and performance than if drained at 1/2 or 1 amp. Did anyone know about this or have experience with it?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-12 14:19
    Yes, this is a characteristic of all batteries although the specific numbers will change depending on the construction and chemistry of the battery.
  • AmaralAmaral Posts: 176
    edited 2008-10-12 14:56
    On the Book "Electric Vehicle Technology Explained" by "James Larminie" they have on charpter 2 a very good explanaiton about batteries and discharge , even in different kind and types of batterys .. I have a copy of this book in PDF, I would post the Charpter 2 here But I rather wait for the author approval. I've got that book over the internet you may be abble to get it too, but not from me (without athorization). is a good book with a lot of good and precise information.

Amaral

Electric Vehicle Technology Explained
    James Larminie
    Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK
    John Lowry
    Acenti Designs Ltd., UK
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2008-10-14 12:38
    Amaral, I'm not asking for the book. It's accepted practice in literary writing to paraphrase small sections of a book, and give credit to the author. If you have time, any paraphrased (in quotes) information about the characteristics and longevity of a carbon-zinc battery would be appreciated, if it can lead to more accurate ways of predicting battery life in a HomeWork board.