Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Starting out with Vinculum, need some pointers — Parallax Forums

Starting out with Vinculum, need some pointers

T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
edited 2008-11-25 11:31 in Propeller 1
I built a board that incorporates pretty much the identical schematic of the Vmusic2, only it is on a board with a Prop, set up to use serial.

I added a header to the board to program the firmware with a serial adapter they sell called TTL232 3.3volt version, and was successful flashing the Vmusic firmware. I seem to be having an issue getting the Prop to talk to it over serial i/o, but have only gotten into it. One thing that concerns me is that the LED's do not blink when I plug in the thumbdrive. Below is the schematic from the Vmusic2 and the one I made. I dropped the power to pin 1, considering I would be using powered devices, however I didn't consider the USB drive needing power. This Vinculum addition is new territory for me, would anyone please confirm that I need to mod the board to put % volts back on pin 1 to drive the USB drive? Considering the VNCL1-a flashed OK, I assume the chip is functioning properly.

More to come later after I get the Prop to get some response.

Thanks

...Couldn't load the other image, but it just omits the pin with power.

Post Edited (Originator) : 10/10/2008 5:52:39 AM GMT
672 x 669 - 49K

Comments

• T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2008-10-10 19:16
    Any Vinculum pro's here?

After flashing the chip to Vmusic rom, the chip now runs a cycle forever as shown below.

When I switch to program mode jumper, the pop stops, the LED's stop cycling.

When jumper is in Run mode, this is the infinite cycle:

Main PCB voltage 3v3
    Red
    Green

Red
    Green

Red
    Green

Audio Pop

Main PCB voltage 2.95
    Red
    Green

Red
    Green

Red
    Green

Audio Pop

Whatever this odd state is, it is pulling down the power by 2.05 volts every other cycle. I just can't get a fix on what this state is. The chip is not even slightly warm, it is functioning well enough to get flashed, it can process LED activity. When switching the VNCL1-A TO PROGRAM mode, the pop stops, the LED's stop.

I did run 3v3 to the USB connector to power the USB thumb drive. Normally the drive lights up when it gets plugged into any computer, it des not light up connected to the Vinculum.

Maybe somebody has been down this road and has an idea of what it going on.
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2008-11-25 10:43
    For a start USB uses 5v.
    This can be seen in the schematic you provided.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=56956
    This would explain why your thumb drive isn't working.

Hope that helps.
    Good luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Building Blocks To The Propeller Chip A web site designed to help people who are new to the propeller chip.

Guitar Hero controller using the prop (WIP) --> HERE

Post Edited (computer guy) : 11/25/2008 10:49:06 AM GMT
    303 x 252 - 11K
    usb.jpg 11.5K
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2008-11-25 11:31
    Thanks for the note. I patched that 5v to the drive long ago, the thumb drive is working fine, it will play mp3's fine, I can read my file just fine using RD (*read whole file), but there is no ram to store it and EEPROM is too slow. The problem is with reading a set size of data in chunks, the commands they provided simply does not work. FTDI is really lacking in the manuals and documents area.