Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
environment noice — Parallax Forums

environment noice

ErikErik Posts: 31
edited 2008-10-09 17:21 in Propeller 1
Hello,

How is the workingof the propeller chip in an environment noice.

best regards Erik

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-09 01:12
    Please do not post essentially the same message in several forums. It's against forum rules.

There are no microprocessors that I know of that have any significant noise protection built into the device.
    The "first line" of noise protection is always provided by external circuitry whether it be power supply or signal
    filtering or shielded leads. Sometimes having a Schmitt trigger input can help, but only when there's some
    amount of external filtering.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-10-09 01:41
    Erik....

The lower the voltages go... the more noise is going to be an issue. If you have a Prop pin ... unconnected to the outside world... but surrounded by pin activity and input signals you can pick up noise pretty easily... Attach the same pin to an input signal and there doesn't seem to be any noise at all...
    put a sensor on a long unshielded wire... sometimes you will get noise and sometimes you won't. As Mike said... this is common to all microprocessors and as we push speed up and voltages down more attention will have to be paid to exactly what we are feeding our controllers.

Everyone here enjoys the challenge... So, if you run into a problem, you will get plenty of help.

Rich
  • Paul MPaul M Posts: 95
    edited 2008-10-09 09:29
    Related to this subject,·which is the best way (if any) of using the BOE/RST pins for best noise immunity on the RST pin?
    ·
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-10-09 16:06
    I usually send the RST signal through an RC filter on the way to the reset pin if there is a risk of interference. That way any glitches on the reset line won't cause an undesired reset.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.· My wish has come true.· I no longer know how to use my telephone."

- Bjarne Stroustrup
  • Paul MPaul M Posts: 95
    edited 2008-10-09 17:21
    Good idea.
    Is there any difference (on the RST sensitivity) between tying BOE to VDD or VSS