Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
emc noise — Parallax Forums

emc noise

ErikErik Posts: 31
edited 2008-10-09 01:09 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
How good or bad is the basic stamp protected to environment noice, when there a some frequency converters near by

best regsards Erik

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-09 00:20
    There's minimal built-in protection for electrical noise because this sort of protection is normally part of the power supply for the Stamp (or other microcontroller) or part of the I/O circuitry. It also depends on the physical enclosure for the Stamp and the associated circuitry.

A lot depends on the type of environmental noise and what other circuitry is connected to the Stamp since that needs to be protected as well.
    If you could describe what you want to do with the Stamp and provide more detail on the noise environment, I'm sure you will get all sorts of suggestions to help protect the Stamp.
  • ErikErik Posts: 31
    edited 2008-10-09 00:30
    Hello Mike,

To control an elevator door with a small fequency converter to control the Motor
    We got an right power supply for the stamp and in the power supply of the converter is a noice filter.

there are two thing for the biggest noice
    1 when the door is clossing hard or men is holding him half in closing or opening then the motor gives some noice back.
    2 the converter

Erik
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-09 00:58
    Are you asking how to protect a Stamp from electrical noise? It's very difficult to make suggestions without much more information about your circuitry.

At the very least, the Stamp and its power supply need to be in some kind of shielded box with the shield grounded. Any wires going in or out of the box carrying logic level signals need to be shielded or twisted pairs with one wire grounded at the box. If the power supply is not in the box, any power leads need to be shielded or twisted pairs. The motor controller (converter?) sounds like it needs to be in its own box or compartment which is grounded.
  • ErikErik Posts: 31
    edited 2008-10-09 01:09
    wasn't asking how but you ask me how the situation was.
    but thanks for your answer