Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ADC with DIP? — Parallax Forums

ADC with DIP?

RaymanRayman Posts: 14,364
edited 2008-10-09 16:39 in Propeller 1
Anybody gotten Sigma-Delta ADC to work with the DIP version of the Prop?· (With through-hole components)

I'm pretty sure it won't work on a breadboard, but maybe on a custom PCB it could work?

Maybe dropping the operating frequency would help...

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-08 17:15
    Dropping the frequency will help. Putting the feedback resistor and capacitors at the DIP pins, perhaps using surface mount parts for those will help. Even with the surface mount Propeller, the feedback resistor and capacitors have to be mounted as close as possible to the chip leads. There was someone who did get Sigma-Delta ADC working with through-hole components by dropping the clock frequency. Remember that you can get Sigma-Delta ADC to work even with a Stamp if you slow it down enough.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-10-08 17:16
    I've had it working with the DIL chip on a home-made PCB with a prototyping area using through-hole parts. The leads were as short as possible. I used the standard 80 MHz clock. I didn't check the performance in detail, I'd use a proper ADC for a serious application.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle

Post Edited (Leon) : 10/8/2008 5:21:59 PM GMT
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-10-09 12:24
    I have used Delta-Sigma ADC several times with many different configurations (including the DIP) and have not had as many problems as others seem to.· I see others have also gotten it to work without the caps - just using stray capacitance.· However, if you're going to be sloppy with your wiring don't expect a lot of precision or noise immunity. You get pretty much what you pay for. If you need 12-bit precision you're probably better off using a dedicated IC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.· My wish has come true.· I no longer know how to use my telephone."

- Bjarne Stroustrup

Post Edited (Ken Peterson) : 10/9/2008 12:31:03 PM GMT
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,364
    edited 2008-10-09 16:37
    Thanks Ken. It's good to hear that it can work...

I don't know if Parallax has shown photos of the wire bonding inside the DIP chip, but I'm assuming that adjacent pins run quasi-parallel into the chip. So, I'm going to use 5 pins nearest the center of the DIP and set 3 of them to ground to make transmission-lines with the 2 real pins being used...
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-10-09 16:39
    Hi Rayman.

It is one thread that describe bonding inside for ADC posiblites

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha