Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about SDcard with the BS2px24. — Parallax Forums

Question about SDcard with the BS2px24.

MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
edited 2008-10-11 03:36 in BASIC Stamp
It was so easy to add the 2 gig SD card to my propeller.· Will it be that easy on the stamp or is the BS2px24 not easily attached to have more ram?· Just curious.

Comments

• tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-10-08 00:03
    I do not think it will be very easy because you will need a LOT of code to parse the file system. You would need at least 1 bank, maybe 2 and it might not even have enough ram. The Propeller FSRW has 1 512 byte buffer plus about 10 different variables and many methods. The BS2px has only 128 bytes of scratch pad ram. I do not think it would be possible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
    tongue.gif
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-10-08 00:05
    thanks tpw,

Is there another way to do it. I mean buy an attachment from parallax to add more memory. Or do you just save up and upgrade to a larger stamp? I liked the idea of plugging and unplugging the SD card to add more memory.
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-10-08 00:09
    The biggest stamps have only 128 bytes of SPRAM. You have got the largest stamp in the RAM area. Also, all the variables are longs, so with the stamp which is 16 bit, you might be only able to access the first 64KB of the SD card. If someone did it, I would be thoroughly amazed. You might be able to make something yourself with the Propeller that communicates over serial to the SD card.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
    tongue.gif
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-08 00:25
    The USB Memory Stick Datalogger would allow you to use a USB Memory Stick with the BS2px. You could even get an SD card USB reader and plug that into the Datalogger which would allow you to use an SD card if you wanted. There's sample code available for the BS2 (and BS2px).

Other than using something like the Datalogger, there's no way to use any of the Stamps directly with an SD card.· The Stamps simply don't have enough memory.
    edited 2008-10-08 00:32
    Thanks, Mike. This gives me hope.· Is there a limit to the ram I could put. For instance I had to go out and by a 2 gig SD card because all I had was 4,8, and sixteen.

You always bail me out. Thanks!

jumpin.gif·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-08 03:37
    I don't remember how big a memory card/stick can be used with the Vinculum chip (on the USB Datalogger). Download the firmware manual from Parallax's webstore page for the Datalogger to see what they say. Rokicki's routines for the Propeller only support up to 2GB. It's not described as RAM though ... it's flash EEPROM
    edited 2008-10-11 03:36
    I talked to tech support and right of the top of his head, he believed that the SD card should support at least 4 gig.

Happy day!